University Personnel has confirmed from The California State University Chancellor’s Office that faculty hired to teach exclusively and only in special sessions are exempt from the CSU Out-of-State Employment Policy. If you have faculty who reside out of state and you want to hire them to teach online special session courses only, there is no need to request an exemption from Out-of-State Employment Policy.
- This policy does not apply to individuals who teach both stateside and special session.
- Qualified California candidates should be considered and hired for these courses if they meet our needs.
- Additional resources are listed below regarding the Out-of-State Employment Policy.
Out of State Hire Request Form
Guidance for Administering the Out-of-State Employment Policy Summary
ABSO has collaborated with Faculty Success, UP, and the President’s Office to offer instructions on requesting an Out of State Hire for faculty positions. The instructions are available under the Human Resources tab on the Hub.
The instructions provide a list of necessary info required on the request form, as well as guidance on how to write a compelling justification for the hire. Remember to keep in mind that you may request such a hire only if you can clearly demonstrate that no one in the state of California, or planning to work in the state of California, applied and/or was qualified for the position. In addition, before proposing an out of state faculty hire, you must ensure that there are no other current part-time (i.e., not at 1.0) lecturers in the department who are qualified and available to do the work.
Please contact email@example.com for any questions about the process.
For the departments that are interested in bringing faculty candidates to visit the campus or the area, please note the following:
- A Travel Approval Request must be completed prior to the visit. Obtain all necessary approval and submit the form to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Departments must use their department GoCard to prepay expenses such as airfare, lodging, and car rentals for auditing purposes.
- Candidates’ travel expenses that are not prepaid will be reimbursed through a Travel Reimbursement Request. Follow the instructions on the form, attach the fully executed Travel Approval Request, and submit the claim to email@example.com.
- If a campus visit is included in the itinerary, no more than one member from the recruitment committee can offer the tour.
Please note that in-person meetings, such as on-campus committee meetings and interviews, are still restricted at this point.
Should you have any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.