Emancipatory Education Now is a new student-led initiative at the SJSU Lurie College of Education that examines what emancipatory education – the critical evaluation of the systems and structures of oppression that maintain the status quo in our educational institutions – looks like in today’s society and advocates for the expansion of emancipatory education research, policies, and practices. In this episode, Brian leads a discussion with Anne, Gabi, Jackie, Leslye, and Vinson as they reflect upon how participating in Emancipatory Education Now has shaped them.
The calls to action for this episode:
- Speak out in whatever way you’re comfortable – it all matters
- Take the time to process information and actively listen to others
- Get comfortable with being wrong and embodying a growth mindset
- “Apply yourself to supply your wealth” – Kendrick Lamar
- Live Black Lives Matter rather than merely talk Black Lives Matter
Watch all of the episodes of Emancipatory Education Now at sjsu.edu/education/emancipatory-education-now and be on the lookout for an opportunity to apply to participate in Emancipatory Education Now for the Spring 2021 semester!