The 2020 institute will build on the success of the STEM Teacher Institutes piloted with great success in 2019!
These institutes are grounded in an educational equity foundation; they are built on the recognition that access for all K-12 students to high-quality STEM+C learning experiences is a social justice issue. The coordinator will be expected to lead the institute with a social justice orientation, provide on-site and online support, and assist with data collection. Under the general direction of the Director of Student Success, Recruitment and Alumni Engagement, the Stem+C Institute Coordinator will independently organize marketing, student recruitment, scheduling, field placements, registration, payments and all logistical aspects for the Stem+C Institute. The coordinator provides support to the director, faculty, and students. This position will be an essential member of the institute and will present at informational meetings to potential institute attendees.
- To learn more about this opportunity and apply by Friday, February 7, 2020, see the full position description below.
- Learn more about the Lurie College of Education via our Linktree.
Essential Functions and Associated Tasks
- Liaison between Lurie College of Education and campus partners, such as the College of Professional & Global Education, Registrar’s Office, and the Bursar’s Office. Responsible for initiating summer session courses for scheduling – manage all documentation and resources needed as determined by Special Sessions Operations Manager (CPGE). Ensure that all required enrollment documentation is completed and submitted (RO). Maintain updated information for payment of course(s), fee waivers, and holds on accounts (BO).
- Coordinate communications and logistics for faculty and grad student assistant(s)Provide regular check-ins for faculty involved in the institute to ensure a well-integrated and intentionally designed student learning experience. Facilitate meetings, arrange for space, order textbooks, supplies, and other resources.
- Provide marketing and outreach for the Institute. The coordinator will hold information sessions, be the point of contact for the campus community, external community stakeholders, and participants. The coordinator will ensure that marketing and recruitment efforts are grounded in an equity and social justice stance. Assist with applications and determining eligibility for enrollment.
- Liaison with community agencies for complementary practical experiences. The coordinator will explore and develop relationships with several community-based agencies providing math, science, and computer science programming for youth. Identify opportunities, within those agencies, for Institute participants to have hands-on application of pedagogy and course content. Coordinator will ensure that community-agencies selected employ a pedagogical approach and serve a K-12 student population that align with the values of Lurie College and the priorities of the STEM+C Institute.
- Partner with Director of Accreditation and Assessment on pre/post surveys and focus groups.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities required to perform the Essential Functions
- Strong focus on educational equity and understanding of the role that access to STEM and CS learning plays in promoting (or limiting) opportunities for K-12 students. Ability to speak to the need for STEM+C preparation for future educators.
- Ability to quickly learn and apply CCTC, CSU and SJSU policies and procedures.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Must possess excellent customer service and public relations skills.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and appropriately handle sensitive communications with students, faculty, and employees.
- Ability to handle multiple priorities, organize and plan work and projects.
- Familiarity with survey tools and the ability to analyze survey data.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships within and outside the work group and serve as a liaison for the institute.
- Thorough knowledge of software applications: Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
- Experience or background in education with a focus on STEM+C. Knowledge of best practice approaches in STEM+C and culturally sustaining pedagogies in K-12.
- Dedication to seeing tasks to completion.
- Ability to drive off campus to various locations. Must provide a CA driver’s license documentation prior to start date.
- Education: A Master’s degree or equivalent experience in education.
- Experience: Experience managing logistics of outreach, communicating to a variety of audiences
- In order to be considered a candidate, please submit a cover letter and resume to Sarah Arreola, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Priority Deadline: Friday, February 7, 2020
- Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Consultant Work Schedule/Location
This is a part-time position January 2020 – August 2020. Hours may be increased to full time during the weeks of the STEM+C Institute in June and July 2020. There may be an opportunity to grow and expand the position in subsequent years. Additionally, depending on applicant interest and expertise, there may be an opportunity to combine this role with other Lurie College roles such as lecturer, field supervisor, and/or program coordinator for other program(s) to create a full-time position.
Hiring Range: Commensurate with experience