Dr. Muñoz-Muñoz focuses on language and identity, Emergent Bilinguals and Heritage Spanish Learners, Dual Immersion Programs, US Spanish and education, critical pedagogy and the development of Critical Language Awareness in (bilingual) teachers. Dr. Muñoz-Muñoz works at the intersection of policy and pedagogy in the growth of the bilingual teacher pipeline in California. In the conduct of his research, Dr. Muñoz-Muñoz also explores the epistemological implications of qualitative design and methods in educational settings. He has engaged with districts in the actual design and implementation of Dual Immersion Programs and the alignment of supports for Emergent Bilinguals. Read more below and listen to Eduardo’s personality playlist on the Lurie College Spotify account!
- Ph.D., Race, Inequality, and Language in Education and Sociology of Education, Stanford University
- M.A., Sociology, Stanford University
- M.A., Educational Leadership, UC Berkeley
- Licenciatura (BA+MA), English Philology, Universidad de Córdoba
- Briceno, A., Rodriguez-Mojica, C., & Munoz-Munoz, E. R. (2019). The bilingual teacher shortage: A vicious cycle. Multilingual Educator.
- Rodriguez-Mojica, C., Briceno, A., & Munoz-Munoz, E. R. (2019). Toward a Culturally Sustaining Bilingual Education: Bilingual Teacher Preparation for K-12 classrooms. Innovative Curricular and Pedagogical Designs in Bilingual Teacher Education: Bridging the Distance with P-12 Contexts.
- Rodriguez-Mojica, C., Briceno, A., & Munoz-Munoz, E. R. (2019). Combatting linguistic hegemony: Preparing and sustaining bilingual teacher educators in the United States. Teacher Education Quarterly.
- Munoz-Munoz, E. R. (2019, April). Linguistic Ideologies and Hybridity in Teachers of Spanish Heritage Learners. 3rd Swedish Conference on Translanguaging. Växjö, Sweden: Linnaeus University.
- Munoz-Munoz, E. R. (2019, March). Linguistic Landscape Pedagogy: Unpacking our Context, Empowering Critical Educators. 25th Annual College of Education Multicultural Education Conference. Sacramento, CA: Sacramento State University.
- Lavadenz, M., Spieguel-Colman. S., Armas, A., Munoz-Munoz, E. R., Briceno, A., & Cristina, A. (2019, March). Three-hour institute: Bilingual Teacher Expertise: Building a Continuum of Preparation and Professional Learning. California Association for Bilingual Education (CABE) Conference. Long Beach, CA: California Association for Bilingual Education (CABE).
NOTEWORTHY GRANTS AND AWARDS
- Collaborative research award, SJSU Lurie College of Education, Spring 2019
AREAS OF RESEARCH INTEREST
- Bilingual Teacher Education
- Critical Language Awareness
- Culturally Sustaining Pedagogies
- Heritage Speakers
- Interpretive methodology
- Con Respeto: Bridging the Distances Between Culturally Diverse Families and Schools by Guadalupe Valdés
- Las Personas del Verbo by Jaime Gil de Biedma
- Looking Like a Language, Sounding Like a Race by Jonathan Rosa