Kim Tsai is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Child & Adolescent Development whose program of research centers on family influences on adolescent psychosocial adjustment and health. Her two intersecting areas of research include (1) examining how cultural values contribute uniquely to family dynamics for adolescents from ethnic minority and immigrant families and (2) investigating cultural and familial factors that impact adolescent emotional well-being and health, specifically their sleep. To address her research aims, she utilizes survey, daily experience sampling and longitudinal designs in her studies with adolescents and their parents from diverse backgrounds. Read more below and listen to Kim’s personality playlist on the Lurie College Spotify account!
- PhD, Developmental Psychology, UCLA
- BA, Psychology, UC Santa Cruz
- Tsai, K.M., Dahl, R.E., Irwin, M.E., Bower, J.E., McCreath, H., Seeman, T.E., & Fuligni, A.J. (2018). The roles of parental support and family stress on adolescent sleep. Child Development, 89, 1577-1588.
- Majeno, A. Tsai, K.M., Huynh, V.W., McCreath, H. & Fuligni, A.J. (2018). Discrimination and sleep difficulties during adolescence: The mediating roles of loneliness and perceived stress. Journal of Youth and Adolescence, 47, 135-147.
- Tsai, K.M., Gonzales, N.A. & Fuligni, A.J. (2016). Mexican-American adolescents’ provision of emotional support in response to parental stress. Journal of Research on Adolescence, 26, 658-672.
- Tsai, K.M., Telzer, E.H., Gonzales, N.A., & Fuligni A.J. (2015). Parental socialization of Mexican-American adolescents’ family obligation values and behaviors. Child Development, 86, 1241-1252.
- Fuligni, A.J. & Tsai, K.M. (2015). Developmental flexibility in the age of globalization: Autonomy and identity development among immigrant adolescents. Annual Review of Psychology, 66, 411-431.
- Tsai, K.M., Chiang, J.J., Kim, J.J. & Fuligni, A.J., (2019, March). The influence of parental daily stress and mood on adolescent sleep. Paper Symposium (Chair: Tsai, K.M.): The Influence of Parental Risk Factors and Extrafamilial Stressors on Sleep from Infancy to Emerging Adulthood. Paper presentation submitted to the Society for Research in Child Development (SRCD) Biennial Meeting, Baltimore, MD.
NOTEWORTHY GRANTS AND AWARDS
- 2019-2020 SJSU Central RSCA Award
AREAS OF RESEARCH INTEREST
- Adolescent health
- Cultural socialization
- Family obligation
- Family stress
- Immigrant families
- Social and emotional adjustment
- Becoming by Michelle Obama