Lurie College Students Receive Bertha Kalm Scholarship

Congratulations to SJSU Lurie College graduate students Danielle Patenaude and Jared Jew, who are 2 of 6 students that were recently awarded the Bertha Kalm Scholarship by the College of Graduate Studies – learn more about Danielle and Jared below! 💙💛

SJSU Lurie College of Education Teacher Education Graduate Student Danielle Patenaude

SJSU Lurie College of Education Communicative Disorders and Sciences Graduate Student Jared Jew

“I am motivated everyday by the students I work with to find new ways to elevate their learning and help them make their voices heard in a system that does not always value the full picture of who they are as multilingual learners. I believe strongly in democratic, student-centered education, and my desire to provide access to that type of learning experience for students is behind my drive to continue research and pursue further education in the LACES Masters program at SJSU. I am lucky to be surrounded by incredible examples of motivated and hardworking educators in this program and at my school that help support my pursuit of more equitable practices for our students.” – Danielle Patenaude

“My passion to make a difference is defined by my love for this world and my hope that future generations will not have to struggle through the hardships that I faced alone. I acknowledge that hardship catalyzes growth and shaped me into who I am today, but I believe creating a safe environment for growth from failure through supported exploration can create the same effect without leaving individuals emotionally damaged. My hope as a future professional is to inspire compassion for others through the support I offer those I work with in the hopes that they will do the same for others in their lives. If I am able to successfully ease the struggles someone faces in their life at that given point of time, then I will know I have done my job.” – Jared Jew