Advising Forms: University Forms Available Online

University forms are typically available from three different sources depending on the form that is needed.  Here are the most commonly needed forms for undergraduate students.

The Registrar has the most frequently used forms, such as:  Graduation Application, Name Change, Excess Unit Petition, Open University Petition, and Substitution Forms.  Following is the link to access the registrar forms

Academic Advising and Retention Services (AARS) has forms for course drops and withdrawals and Change of Major/Minor Forms.  Here is the link to the AARS forms page –

Undergraduate Studies has forms for enrolling in SJSU Studies courses while still in LD standing and forms for returning students.  Here is the direct link to access the Undergraduate Studies forms

Advising Forms Explained: University Petition to Enroll in SJSU Studies While Still in LD Standing

Students who have earned less than 60 units are prevented from enrolling in all SJSU Studies Courses.   Click here for an explanation of SJSU Studies courses.   Students who are close to 60 units can petition to enroll in SJSU Studies (Area R, S, V and Z courses).

To use this form, download the petition, complete all fields, compile the required paperwork and submit the form to HS faculty advising for approval.  Once the form is approved by a department faculty advisor the form will be sent to Undergraduate Studies for final approval.  If approved, students can request an add code from an instructor on the first day of classes (if the course is not full) and then use the add code to register for the course.

Download the petition to enroll in SJSU studies while still in lower division standing here –


*Note* Students do not need to submit this form for Health Science Upper Division Courses – only upper division SJSU Studies courses require this form.   For questions about upper division courses in the major, see a department advisor.

Advising Forms Explained: University Graduation Date Change Form

The University Graduation Date Change form is required for students who do not complete the necessary requirements by the semester intended. This form will allow students to postpone graduation in order to complete all requirements.

The form must be submitted to a department advisor for approval and then submitted to the Bursar’s Office with a $10 fee before the registrar will be able to make any changes.

Students who have not completed all requirements by the semester of planning graduation will not be allowed to enroll in additional classes until the graduation date change form is submitted and approved by the University.

Download this form here –

Advising Forms Explained: University Course Substitution Form

The University course substitution form is required for students who have applied for graduation and have made changes to their academic plan on record.    In other words, once you apply for graduation the Major Form that was submitted with your graduation application must be completed as stated.  If you make changes to the courses that you complete, a substitution form must be approved by faculty advisors in the department and then submitted to the registrar for a formal change.

To submit this form for approval by a Health Science Faculty advisor you need to complete the University substitution form and attach a copy of your major form for advisor review.

Download the University Substitution Form here –

*Note* If you have not applied for graduation you do not need to submit a substitution form.

Example Form:


Advising Forms Explained: University Graduation Application

The University requires that you apply for graduation one or two semesters prior to your intended graduation date.  The graduation form is available online here –  This form also requires the completion of Department Major Form.  For more information on completing this form, please see this post.

Complete all required fields and submit your completed graduation application to the Health Science faculty advisors for approval at least 4 weeks prior to the deadline.

Current Graduation Application Deadlines

Following are some common errors:

  • Graduation semester not selected or incorrect semester selected.  Please check the semester in which you intend to graduate.
  • Degree objective.  All HS students are obtaining a Bachelor’s of Science – BS degree.
  • Major.  Before submitting this form confirm that your declared major is correct.  For example, if you have completed the required courses for the Health Services Administration Concentration but your degree is still declared in Health Science (without the concentration) your declared major is simply Health Science.  If you want the concentration, you must declare the concentration.
  • Non-SJSU work.  This is only for students who will be taking a course at another college and will be submitting transcripts for that course.  If you have no intention of taking courses outside of SJSU, leave this blank.
  • Courses currently enrolled in.  Indicate the courses in which you are currently enrolled at SJSU.
  • Signature.  Remember to sign your form before submitting.