Abigail Alcain

Abigail Alcain

Abigail AlcainNAME: Abigail Alcain
MAJOR: Biological Sciences
TERM: Spring 2022
PROGRAM: SJSU Exchange University of Roehampton, UK
EMAIL: alcainabigail@gmail.com

Why did you want to study abroad? 
Studying abroad looked like a great opportunity for me to experience new places and traveling as well as meeting new people from different backgrounds. I also wanted to use this opportunity to advance my career by connecting with the professors and programs that I’m able to participate in.

What has been your most surprising, positive, or challenging experience abroad?
A surprising experience that I have noticed is that I live on one of the four campuses here, and I live on the campus that’s far away from the main campus. I was surprised that this college was separated from all the others and distinctly far from the main one. But all my classes and labs are in my current college anyways so I don’t have to go to the main campus unless it’s for a social event or for the library. Another challenging experience is the transportation, all transportation is taken by bus or train, and I am not used to public transportation as much as I am now because that is how I get everywhere, and especially most places near me take about 30 minutes to an hour to get somewhere.

Any advice to potential study abroad students?
For potential study abroad students, would probably be to study what norms take place at that specific country beforehand. And definitely make sure all the financials are taking care of (such as if you need a new phone number/SIM card, a bank, transportation card). Also make sure you know where the nearest hospital is just in case.

How are you managing your academic success abroad during the pandemic?
I have managed to keep my academics controlled bye renting all the textbooks and materials required for my classes. I also depend on the online moodle (CANVAS) for notifications from professors as well as accessing the lectures and videos required.

What are some ways that you are interacting with the local community ?
I have definitely met many people within the community of my area, and they have helped me explore around London and we try new foods and visit in new places and overall had fun!

What are some tips for managing your health and safety while traveling during the pandemic?
Make sure to have your insurance on hand at all times, especially on your phone in case you have any major injuries. As well make sure you tell someone where you are at and never go alone.