2021-2022-Global Spartan Scholarship Recipients

International Student & Scholar Services (ISSS) and International Recruitment and Partnerships (IRP) host the Global Spartan Scholarship for both newly admitted and current students. The Global Spartan Scholarship was created to recognize and provide financial support to our new and continuing, matriculated international students at both the undergraduate and graduate levels. Applicants for this scholarship must demonstrate academic excellence, leadership, commitment to globalization, international education, and financial need.

Below are three Global Spartan Scholarship recipients that we would like to recognize. Congratulations on your achievements, and thank you for your contributions to our Global Spartan, SJSU, and global communities.

Alisha Limbu

Q: Tell us about yourself.

Alisha Limbu

A: My name is Alisha Limbu and I’m an international student from Nepal. I have been a part of SJSU since Fall 2021 and am majoring in Chemical Engineering. SJSU has been a great platform for me to grow academically and personally. It has provided me with various resources and opportunities that helped me with cultural appreciation, career expansion, and networking skills. I choose SJSU for its location, academic excellence, resources, and opportunities.

Q: What is your greatest achievement during your time at SJSU?

A: My time with SJSU is only six months till now, but one of my first jobs here was as a House Leader for SJSU Peer Connections during Fall 2021, and it helped me to regain my confidence to socialize with people which I had lost during the pandemic. It was a very interesting feeling to organize events and meet people both online and in-person, and was a confidence booster for  me.

Q: What advice do you have for other international students?

A: There are dozens of campus resources around campus, so making the best use of it is one piece of the advice that I have for other international students. There are various job/internship fairs and opportunities to network with people. These opportunities help to build the base of a career for the future, so do not miss them. Global Spartan Scholarship is one of those opportunities that help you with gaining financial independence to some extent and appreciate/celebrates your standing at SJSU despite the country, color or culture.

Also, Being away from home is tough and adjusting to a new environment can be very intimidating. The ups and downs of student life will go on until we graduate, and as per my experience the fun part begins when we start to accept the challenges of the new environment. The acceptance will give us patience, hope, and most importantly wisdom to live a life in a way we have not thought or planned. I think it’s okay to be uncomfortable at some point of life because this is how we understand the comfort of life.

Ratika Bhuwalka

Ratika Bhuwalka

Q: Tell us about yourself.

A: I’m Ratika Bhuwalka from India. I’m majoring in Software Engineering. The prime reason for choosing SJSU was the diversity it provides with respect to culture, people, and opportunities. It has a plethora of things to offer, fun activities to participate in all year round, numerous clubs to be part of, and a wide range of assistance and career guidance provided by various organizations.

A: My greatest achievement is time management. With intense courses, internship preparation, an on-campus job, and active participation in clubs and events, last semester got pretty taxing. It required strict time management, a lot of hard work, and perseverance to be able to juggle multiple things at once. I realized the value of time and learned how to make the most of it. By the end of the semester, I was able to achieve all that I had aimed for. 

A: As an international student, moving overseas and finding your safe space can be an overwhelming experience. It’s very important to stay optimistic and be open to new things. Stay focused on your goals but at the same time don’t forget to have fun on the way. Make friends, explore, pounce on every opportunity you get. Don’t hesitate to step out of your comfort zone. It’s going to be worth it in the end.  

Hasnain Mucklai

Q: Tell us about yourself

Hasnain Mucklai

A: My name is Hasnain Mucklai and my home is a tiny country in Africa called Zambia. My major is Software Engineering and before coming to SJSU I did a large amount of research regarding on-campus life and how SJSU helps students succeed. SJSU is a perfect fit for me and so I chose to attend SJSU!

A: I’ve only been at SJSU for one semester and during this time my greatest achievement has probably been balancing my life in terms of educational responsibilities and adjusting to my new surroundings.

A: Do what interests you and enjoy every moment of your college experience!