ISSS is very excited to announce that our brand new iSucceed Mentorship Program will launch this spring! The mentorship program will ease the transition of new international students as they begin their studies at SJSU, helping them navigate cultural and social challenges as well as campus life. In preparation for the launch of the program, we are looking for volunteer Peer Mentors who are enthusiastic and want to make a difference in the lives of new international students. Peer Mentor applications are open September 21-October 28, 2020.
Why be a Peer Mentor?
- Expand your worldview! Learn from others about cultures across the globe.
- Make a difference! It feels good to help others, and you’d be surprised to see the impact your kindness can make on someone else’s life.
- Boost your resume! Develop intercultural, interpersonal, and leadership skills–transferable skills employers seek.
- Work on a multicultural team in a supportive environment.
Who’s eligible to be a Peer Mentor?
- Undergraduate students (international or U.S.) in good academic standing (2.0 GPA or higher) with at least 1 year at SJSU.
- Graduate students (international or U.S.) in good academic standing (2.0 GPA or higher) with at least 1 semester at SJSU.
Peer Mentor Responsibilities (Spring 2021)
- Commit to volunteering for one semester
- Weekly time commitment varies, but averages 1-2 hours per week
- Required attendance at Mentor Orientation & iSucceed Kick Off event
- During spring semester, regularly check in with your assigned Mentees via Zoom, email, social media, text, or phone conversation (your choice)
- Provide support and guidance to Mentees, directing them to appropriate resources as necessary
- Attend bi-weekly Peer Mentor meetings via Zoom
- Engage with the iSucceed community
- Keep in close communication with your Advisory Board liaison, who will help you during your time as a Peer Mentor (the Advisory Board is like a small team of mentors mentoring a mentor).
Learn more on our website: https://www.sjsu.edu/isss/events/isucceed/index.html