Department of Kinesiology Scholar Award for Undergraduate Students
The annual Department of Kinesiology Scholar Award honors students from each major
curricular area within the department: Kinesiology, Physical Education Teacher Education, and
Athletic Training. The Kinesiology Scholar Award recognizes students who have achieved a
distinctive academic and leadership record. The award is intended to recognize and promote
academic excellence, to further the professional competence and dedication of academically
accomplished students and to promote kinesiology and its related fields. Applicants for the
Scholar Award are also eligible for submission to the AKA student awards (see
http://www.americankinesiology.org/SubPages/Pages/Scholar%20Awards) and other on-
Scholar Award Criteria:
• Senior status with a minimum overall GPA of 3.6
• Student graduating in the current academic year
• Demonstrates exceptional scholarly interest in the field of kinesiology
Nominations are due Monday, February 25, 2019 and must include:
• Completed nomination form;
• Resume (not to exceed two pages) including GPA and information related to scholarly
interest/accomplishments, leadership, and service to the profession;
• A 250-300 word narrative describing the applicant’s academic accomplishments and
information related to award criteria (see below);
• Email digital photo of student (Preferably 400 x 600 pixel JPG) to Dr. Chin:
The scholar award narrative should include evidence of the following:
• Commitment to high levels of academic accomplishment and leadership
• Engagement with professional and/or academic organizations
• Demonstration of academic excellence across the discipline
Department of Kinesiology
San José State University
Steven H. and Bobby J. Jensen Living Trust Scholarship
DESCRIPTION OF SCHOLARSHIP
The Steven H. and Bobby J. Jensen Living Trust Scholarship is a scholarship granted to one graduate student and one undergraduate student in the Department of Kinesiology at San José State University every year. Students may be continuing students or new applicants, and must be full time students for the academic year in which the scholarship is awarded.
This scholarship is intended to support student participation in scholarly research activities that add to students’ professional development and growth of knowledge in the field of human physiology with clinical and medical applications. The applicants must provide a clear description of research engagement and activity with a faculty member, explaining how it adds to his/her scholarly development in their education.
The scholarship is $500 for one graduate and $500 for one undergraduate student. The scholarship will be advertised on an annual basis with the announcement made in Spring semester (application due on first Friday of April) and the scholarship will be given in the Fall semester.
For full consideration the application packet must include: 1) a completed application form, 2) one copy of all college transcripts, 3) one letter of recommendation, 4) a cover letter, 5) a personal statement.
Selection of the scholarship recipients will be based on merit according to the following considerations:
- Cumulative grade point average (GPA) minimum 3.5 (last 60 units)
- Commitment to contribute time and effort to the proposed research under the supervision of a faculty member
- Involvement in research of physiological, clinical, and/or medical fields
- Engagement of research and professional development in the area of students’ career in advanced degree (e.g., PT, OT, MS, or PhD).
Scholarship recipients will be determined by a committee of faculty from the Department of Kinesiology.
This scholarship is given in honor of Steven H. and Bobby J. Jensen from their living trust, which supports the highest level of education that students want to achieve. This honors their grandson, Russell A. Jensen, Ph.D., who discovered his passion for education through receiving many scholarships himself.
This application is to be completed in full, and completed by the applicant and summited to the Kinesiology department office (SPX 102) by 5pm on first Friday of April.
|Name of Applicant:
___________________________________ ______________ ______ _________
(Street) (City) (State) (Zip)
|Cumulative GPA (last 60 units of higher education course work):
|Transcript which may be unofficial|
|A statement of the research project|
|Identify name and position of the individual|
who will write a letter of recommendation, and who you will work with for research.
|One letter of recommendation sent to|
Faculty Committee for Steven H. and Bobby J. Jensen Living Trust Scholarship
Department of Kinesiology (SPX 102)
San Jose State University
One Washington Square
San Jose, CA 95192