Presentation Title: Bridging the Digital Divide in Heritage Preservation using Browser Based VR

Presenter(s): Aisha Abdul Rahman

Abstract: In an increasingly digital world, libraries and museums stand as repositories of knowledge and cultural heritage. However, the digital divide has persisted, limiting access to immersive experiences within these institutions. This abstract presents my approach to address this issue through the utilization of browser-based Virtual Reality (VR) in Mozilla Hubs and Spatial.

My work introduces an innovative paradigm shift, allowing libraries and museums to offer immersive experiences without the need for costly VR equipment. I emphasize the democratization of VR content by making it accessible to anyone with a mobile phone.

This approach aligns with my mission to create a more inclusive and equitable environment for knowledge dissemination.

I will explore case studies and real-world implementations of browser-based VR in libraries and museums, highlighting its potential to engage diverse audiences. Attendees will gain insights into how this technology enhances accessibility, fosters interactive learning, and redefines cultural experiences.

My presentation delves into the practicalities of integrating browser-based VR, covering content creation, user engagement, and infrastructure requirements. I aim to inspire institutions to embrace this transformative technology, making libraries and museums more accessible, engaging, and relevant in our digital age.

Join me as I unveil the future of immersive education and cultural preservation, built on the foundations of inclusivity and accessibility through browser-based VR.”

Link to Recorded Presentation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5t8Adp5cMqw&feature=youtu.be

9 thoughts on “(2024) Bridging the Digital Divide in Heritage Preservation using Browser Based VR

1. Joy Metcalfe

Aisha, I learned so much from your presentation and I’m now so inspired to learn more about the potential VR, particularly browser-based, has to making collections accessible to more people. Do you have any suggested courses in the program that helped give you this skill set? Thank you!

2. Irene

Aisha,
    This is fantastic! I love seeing all your spaces (though, a moment of silence for the passing of Hubs).

• Aisha Abdul Rahman

Thank you, Irene. I enjoyed the challenge of Hubs a lot. I think SJSU is going to move to the main Hubs now. I have graduated so I am not sure. I will have to jump into VCARA for the updates.

3. Bethany Winslow

Great presentation Aisha! Your work in virtual spaces is innovative and important. What a pleasure it was to have you on our Hubs team advocating and showing the way. Well done!

• Aisha Abdul Rahman

Thank you, Bethany. It was amazing working with you. I hope to continue in the path of sharing VR with the world.

4. Ashley M

Hi Aisha, thank you for your awesome presentation and insights on the topic of VR, and how we can make it more inclusive and accessible to users. I appreciated your acknowledgements of the challenges and novelty of the opportunities available for VR, and I loved getting to see the variety in the projects you have worked on!

• Aisha Abdul Rahman

Thank you for taking the time to comment Ashley. I appreciate it.

5. Jessica Bushey

I enjoyed this presentation – cutting edge ideas and applications for cultural heritage engagement!
    Dr. Bushey