Editor’s Page

121014_editors_inpost_IMG_02Looking at the stack of Washington Square issues on my desk, I cannot believe the one you’re reading is my 25th. Standing only a few inches high, the neat pile’s silver saddle-stitches hold together the stories that I’ve written or edited during my nearly nine years at San José State.

Each story extends beyond its pages, having shaped my path and connected me to other Spartans and this place. While interviewing alumni, students and faculty members, I have learned to listen closely, gleaning wisdom from your words and experiences. And by telling your stories, I have found my voice as a writer.

Over the past few years, you’ve been finding your voices, too. A growing number of you have been sharing your stories and the news of your lives—stories that wind, pause and meander, and then rush forward unexpectedly. They always make me feel bolder, prouder and inspired. Hearing your stories has taught me an important lesson: we must all own our paths, embracing and celebrating what we may perceive as imperfections. All those twists and turns build character.
With each issue that goes online and to press, I wonder: Will the stories resonate with you, my fellow alumni? Have the words throughout this issue—and below—captured what makes us Spartans?
As an editor and wielder of a fervent red pen, I’ve accepted that there may never be a perfect issue. Thumbing through the last 25 issues, you’ll find missing punctuation, a few misspellings and a grammatical blunder in an article about the need to improve writing skills. Someone always notices. But I’ve learned to take criticism with grace and to not dwell too long on errors immortalized in ink. There will always be opportunities to learn and start anew. I am simply grateful that my path has crossed so many of yours.

—Jody Ulate

What makes us Spartans? We choose the unlikely path because every test of our character and stamina is an opportunity to learn. We have advantages that can’t be taught: grit, focus, imagination. We believe that dreams are realized through hard work, intelligently applied. We rally. We adapt. We create.

At San José State University, we discover who we want to be—for ourselves, for our families and for our communities. Different and unexpected begin here—at the heart of a transforming valley, in a city that is tough and beautiful. We are Spartans. What powers us changes our world.

Share your thoughts, comments and questions, or tell me what makes you a Spartan.

Jody Ulate

Jody Ulate, '05 MA English, is editor of the Washington Square blog and printed alumni magazine.

You may also like...