Patrick Simmons – Vocalist, Guitarist, and Psychology Major!

Portrait of Patrick Simmons

I’m often asked by perspective students, “what can I do with a degree in Psychology?”  I’m also known to say that in Psychology, we train you for very little, but we prepare you for anything.  Why the reminiscing on the value of a psyc degree?  I’ve recently come across yet another fascinating and unexpected alum from our department, Patrick Simmons, the vocalist/guitarist for the Doobie Brothers.

I had no idea that Mr. Simmons studied psychology here at SJSU until I was reading through “The Harley in the Barn: More Great Tales of Motorcycle Archeology ” (yes, profes

Book jacket for The Harley in the Barn

sors do have lives outside of the classroom).  The author, Tom Cotter, mentions that “Simmons was attending San Jose State University, studying psychology, and playing gigs on weekends with a group called Scratch” (p. 23).   As it happens, Patrick Simmons and I share more than just SJSU Psychology.  He too spent time riding a 1960s Honda 305 Dream…but that’s another story.

Mr. Simmons is a longtime resident of the Bay Area.   He and his family moved to San Jose from the coastal town of Aberdeen, Washington in 1954.  Knowing the coast of Washington, I’m sure the San Jose sunshine was much appreciated.  He began his studies at the then San Jose State College in 1967 and pursued a degree in Psychology.  Perhaps in the near future I’ll have an opportunity to speak with Mr. Simmons and learn more about his evolution from psych major to rock star.  For now, take a moment to enjoy the Doobie Brother’s latest album, “World Gone Crazy,” while you write your own SJSU success story.