By Denise Hamilton (firstname.lastname@example.org),
Liberal Arts Employment Specialist, Career Center
The following is a snap-shot of events and services that the Career Center has to offer this upcoming fall semester.
Don’t miss, the Nonprofit & Public Service Job, Internship, and Volunteer Forum October 8th from 12:30pm-4:30pm in the Student Union Ball Room! We are hosting this educational and recruitment event for the first time with NOVA. The forum will kick-off with a panel from 12:30pm-1:30pm. The panel will consist of representatives from nonprofit, city, state, and federal government. Then at 2pm students, alumni, and community members can meet with 40+ organizations and agencies from around the bay area. This event is appropriate for any class level! Several faculty have added this event to their syllabus as an assignment or just for extra credit. Please feel free to do the same if it fits within the goals of your course.
- Business, Government, & Nonprofit Job & Internship Fair: Another event not to be missed, especially for those students seeking a job or internship. This event will take place in the Student Union Ball Room on September 18th from 12pm-4pm. We are expecting 85 employers representing these various sectors. Another great event to add to your syllabus!
- Social Media Panel: Social media outlets such as Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, and Instagram have taken over the way we communicate with each other and the world. Because of this, companies and organizations are hiring for positions to manage their online or social media presence. This panel will explore this emerging career field! Join us on, Wednesday November 4th in Student Union Ballroom C from 2pm-4pm to learn more.
TOOLS & RESOURCES:
- Faculty Toolkit: Everything you need to integrate SJSU Career services into your classroom is right here!
- Graduate/Professional School Resources: We just revamped our grad school page with helpful videos and resources.
- Big Interview: This is the go to tool to help students prep for interviews.
- GoinGlobal: This new tool, accessed through SpartaJobs, is key to any abroad job or internship search.
- SpartaTrack: Just like an academic plan, students need a career development plan to follow and guide them. This link will take you to just that! Note that students will fall in different sections regardless of class year.
- One-on-one: I LOVE meeting with students! Students can make an appointment with me via SpartaJobs. My appointments this fall will take place on Mondays from 1:30pm-3:30pm at the Career Center. I can be flexible and schedule outside this time frame if necessary. The center also offers drop-in advising hours for quick resume review and/or questions.
- Career Advice Drop-In: NEW this semester, I will be hosting a drop-in career advice session at the ACCESS Center in Clark 240 on Wednesday’s from 1:30pm-3:30pm, starting September 3rd. Students can come by with any career related question or concern to discuss!