Open Letter from the Interim Vice President of Student Affairs

Dear Campus Community:

I’ve been honored to serve as the Interim Vice President for Student Affairs since early January of this year. 

I’ve dedicated over three decades of my life to serving students in higher education. During that time, I’ve had an opportunity to work with many different student affairs professionals to ensure that students have a meaningful college experience — one that propels them toward fulfilling their academic and personal goals.   

During my time as Interim VP, I will work to provide students with holistic experiences of personal and academic success milestones, create a sense of belonging for students across campus, and cultivate social and leadership opportunities that will help students to thrive. 

In the short time I’ve been here, I’ve appreciated learning about the numerous programs, services and leadership opportunities available to students across this diverse and vibrant campus environment. There is a lot of incredible work happening throughout campus and within the Division of Student Affairs (DSA). 

Since my first visit to campus, I knew San José State University was a special place. This spring 2024 semester, the DSA is leading various strategic initiatives to enhance the student experience. One significant project is the transformation of a downtown hotel into a new student residential facility, which has been named Spartan Village on the Paseo. This beautiful building will offer over 700 additional beds with support services such as study rooms and spaces, a dining commons, workout facilities, a gaming center and social spaces to hang out with friends. 

Two other strategic initiatives to support overall student well-being will be launched this spring related to mental health and career development.  

1. Mental health – provide universal resources for self-care, strengthen web of care, resolve barriers
  2. Career development – ensure all students have career information, education, experiences, and outcomes

Whether it’s embarking upon an exciting hotel conversion for student housing, launching a bold student wellness initiative or providing high-impact cultural programming, the DSA is at the forefront of it. I can’t tell you how excited I am to be a part of this team. 

Thank you for welcoming me to the university. I’m so grateful for collaborating with students, faculty, and staff to make the student experience meaningful for all students.  

With warmest regards,

Mari Fuentes-Martin, Ed.D.

Interim Vice President for Student Affairs