2 thoughts on “The Hate U Give

1. This was a wonderful read. It is aimed at a young adult audience, but has enough meat and sophistication to appeal to older readers as well. While it was inspired by current events, it deals with universal themes (growing up, defining one’s identity, standing up for one’s community) and it does not portray anything in black and white–whether it’s talking about family bonds or race relations. Although the hardback edition I read seems bulky, it’s a quick read. I think our students would relate to it. I also think that the author might be willing to come out, since this is her debut. I highly recommend this book.

2. I would only recommend this book if Reading with Patrick is no longer a consideration, and we are looking for a YA book that deals with current issues. It’s a very timely book that will cross disciplines of African American Studies, Cultural Studies, American Studies, Popular Culture. The framing of the book around 1990s Hip-Hop will make it relatable to many faculty (and likely many students too since Tupac never really faded from the public consciousness); the commentary on present-day police violence and white entitlement will make it relatable to anyone. While it is a good read, the writing isn’t great and it begins to feel very long at times. While I love YA books, I’m not sure this is the best one for the program. I think if we were going to use a YA book on current issues, Nicola Yoon’s The Sun is Also a Star would be a better choice.