Pat Lopes Harris, SJSU Media Relations Director, 408-924-1748, firstname.lastname@example.org
Lawrence Fan, SJSU Athletics Media Relations Director, 408-924-1217, email@example.com
San Jose State University announced Thursday that Athletics Director Gene Bleymaier has taken on a new role as special advisor to the president, with responsibility for ensuring momentum and progress on development plans for our athletics facilities.
“I am looking forward to this opportunity to focus fully on our South Campus master plan, which is critical to the future success of our athletics programs,” Bleymaier said.
The multi-phased South Campus plan, which relies on private financial support, is now transitioning into its second phase after the successful completion of a golf practice facility that will open this spring. Bleymaier will immediately focus on the transition to the project’s next phase.
“I want to express gratitude on behalf of the SJSU community, including our devoted alumni and other friends of athletics, for all that Gene has done since his arrival in 2012 to advance Spartan athletics,” Papazian said.
In a letter to the campus community, Papazian commended Bleymaier for a variety of successes since his arrival in 2012:
- Full transition of SJSU’s intercollegiate sports programs into the highly competitive Mountain West conference.
- Completion of the first phase of South Campus renovations, including a new golf practice facility.
- Two post-season bowl victories for the football program (2012 Military Bowl and 2015 Cure Bowl).
- Partnership agreement between SJSU and Citizens Equity First Credit Union, providing funding for renovations to newly-named CEFCU Stadium-Home of the Spartans.
- Sustained competitive excellence in numerous sports.
- Sustained improvements in the academic performance and graduation rates of SJSU’s student-athletes.
Deputy Athletics Director Marie Tuite has been named interim director. A national search for a permanent successor will begin soon.