Paid Student Organizing Internship at San Jose State
Deadline to Apply: Friday, April 26
Salary: $11.00/hr; 10-15 hours/week
Additional info: Interviews will take place on campus in early May. Interviews will take place on campus in early May. Position will start at the beginning of the Fall 2013 semester, with a weekend intern training in mid-late August (date TBA). Must be a current student and able to verify residency or citizenship once hired.
Must be a current student and able to verify residency or citizenship once hired.
Interested in pursuing a career in labor organizing and working for social justice? There is no better time than now, when CSU faculty are approaching the possibility of going on strike, than to intern with the California Faculty Association, a union representing 23,000 faculty in the CSU system. Many of our interns have gone on into careers in labor organizing (with unions such as AFT, SEIU, UNITE-HERE, AFSCME, UFCW, etc.), non-profit, and/or political work.
Whether on your campus, in your community, or at the state capitol, YOU CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE. If you are interested in working with CFA and learning how to fight back and organize on behalf of issues important to faculty and students, then this internship is for you.
The Purpose of the Student Internship Program is to:
- Build the leadership capacity and organizing skills of CSU students as future leaders.
- Increase student awareness about campus-community labor issues and the impact of these issues on the university
- Develop an ongoing partnership with the student community in the CSU around issues CFA identifies as relevant to the university
- Promote student awareness, empowerment and engagement of social justice and labor issues
Our internship program is designed to provide students with hands-on and formalized training in a variety of areas including:
· Lobbying and political organizing
· Strategic campaign planning and coordination
· Building an organization on campus
· Effective communications
Interested in the position? Read the full description (attached) and fill out the application online here.
More info online: http://www.calfac.org/