Student Spotlight: Alyssa Ung

Alyssa Ung

Alyssa is one of the first faces that you will see when you walk into the CPGE building so make sure to say hi!

Major: MS Human Factors

Hometown: Georgetown, Penang, Malaysia

What is your dream job?

My dream job would be a User Experience (UX) Designer/Researcher. Being in such a diverse community at SJSU, I’ve had the opportunity to expand my network and connect with students, faculty, and staff that have enriched my learning experience. Also being in the heart of Silicon Valley, I am exposed to the myriad of opportunities in the tech world.

What types of activities are you involved in at SJSU or in the community?

Human Factors and Ergonomics Society (HFES SJSU Student Chapter), Girls Who Code (GWC), Society of Asian Scientists and Engineers (SASE), Society of Women Engineers (SWE), Vietnamese Student Association (VSA), iSucceed International Peer Mentor Program

What is something that you want others to know about your hometown, home country or culture?

Penang is a beautiful island and I think everyone should visit! Malaysia is a melting pot of cultures and our unique blend of cultures makes our food extra special. Our unofficial national dish is Nasi Lemak which is fragrant coconut rice with spicy sambal, often also topped with cucumbers, an egg and crispy fried anchovies. The dish is said to be a representation of Malaysia because each component is independent on its own yet delicious when mixed together. Personally, I think that it is because the dish is very adaptable to the influences from each culture with delicious variations of nasi lemak dishes available all around the country.

What do you enjoy most about SJSU?

Most probably the community. Campus organizations do a good job of hosting events that cater to the diverse community giving me the opportunity to experience and explore different things.

Where is your favorite spot on our campus and why?

I love hanging out at the Student Wellness Lounge. I get really productive with my work there. I also love the Ginger Market because they have various Asian snacks and different cup/bowl noodles.

What do you wish you would have known sooner about life in the U.S. or being at SJSU?

Help is everywhere. Don’t be shy at asking for help. It can get lonely being away from family and home but more often than not, other people are feeling the same. So lean on your community and ask for help when you need it.

What message do you have for our Global Spartan community?

You get as much as you give! Get involved with clubs and organizations to make the most out of your college experience. It also looks great on your resume.