Effective April 5th, the Direct Payment procurement pathway includes additional allowable payment types and FTS has been updated and enhanced for your convenience. The changes include the following:
I. New Payment Types
- Government license/permit fee
- Guest Artist (under $1,000) *
- International recruiting fee (For CIES use only.)
- Master teacher agreement payments
- Public utility deposits (For FD&O use only.)
- Registration (When a check is required.)
- Student Finance refund (For Bursar’s/Financial Aid use only.)
* A Guest Artist provides service to SJSU at a non-hospitality related event, e.g., an activity associated to academics or instruction.
II. Update to Existing Payment Type
- Student Union/Event Center room and audio visual rentals and/or charges.
III. Clarification on Guest Speaker and Guest Artist
- Guest Speaker and Guest Artist services are allowed through the Direct Payment process when no agreement/contract is required and payment does not exceed $1,000; otherwise a Requisition is required.
IV. Description Dropdown List
- In FTS, the Direct Payment Voucher “Description” dropdown list has been revised to include Fees and Services, which when selected, an additional dropdown list will appear. All of the allowable fee and service types are now available to select.
Figure 1: Fees Description
Figure 2: Services Description
Products and services not specified as allowed via Direct Payment can be requested using other Procurement Pathways. Visit Procurement Pathways for complete guidelines.
Please contact Finance Support if you have any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org or 4-1558.
In an effort to streamline and improve the Direct Payment process, the following changes have been implemented:
- The Direct Payment Checklist has been renamed Direct Payment Products and Services. Please refer to Direct Payment Products and Services for products/services allowed for purchase through this process.
- The list of products/services allowed through the Direct Payment process has been revised to be clearer and more specific. For example:
- Services are now specifically identified as guest speaker, game official, medical and physical services, proctor, and student non-payroll.
- Graphic design, photographer, and illustrator have been removed from the list.
- Accreditation is now called Accreditation Fees.
- Refunds to Non-Student/Employee has been added.
- Subscriptions are allowed unless they are online or software.
Products or services not specified as allowed via Direct Payment, can be requested using other Procurement Pathways such as a Requisition or ProCard. Visit Procurement Pathways for complete guidelines.
Effective February 4, 2015, “Suggested Vendor” will no longer be available for users to select in the Supplier field for Direct Payment requests in FTS. (Labels in FTS formerly referencing “VENDOR” have now been changed to “SUPPLIER”). Supplier ID#’s created in advance help to reduce delays in processing payments and when reviewing your voucher history in FTS, you will see the supplier’s name and not just a blank space.
“Suggested Vendor” will continue to be available for FTS Requisitions.
To determine if a supplier is available for a Direct Payment, use the look-up feature. If it does not exist, please send an email to email@example.com to have the new supplier set up in our system, as many of you are already doing. Please follow the instructions below and allow at least 3-5 business days to process requests. You will receive an email notification when your supplier setup is complete and is available in FTS.
Direct Payment to Suppliers
- When requesting goods/services from a new supplier, have them complete the Vendor Data Record Std. 204 form.
- Before creating the Direct Payment request, send the Vendor Data Record Std. 204 form to firstname.lastname@example.org along with the following information:
Description of Payment
For more information, go to:
Direct Payment Process and Guidelines: http://www.sjsu.edu/finance/financeconnect/resources/pathways/direct_pay/index.html
Vendor Create Instructions: http://blogs.sjsu.edu/financeconnect/tag/vendorsstudentemployee-create-and-update-in-fts/
Please contact FinanceConnect at 4-1558, or by email, if you have any questions. We appreciate your patience regarding any confusion caused by the discrepancies between the use of supplier and vendor as we transition over to the new terminology.