CSU Travel Policy Revision Update

Please review the following updated information regarding the CSU Travel Policy and Procedures revision to comply with Assembly Bill 1887, which added Section 11139.8 to the Government Code relating to discrimination and became effective January 1, 2017.

The California State Attorney General, required to maintain the list of states subject to the new travel prohibitions, recently posted the list on the OAG website. The states currently affected are:

  1. Kansas
  2. Mississippi
  3. North Carolina
  4. Tennessee

Travelers and approvers are required to check the website when planning out-of-state travel. For more information regarding the travel prohibition and how it affects university business travel, please refer to CSU Travel Policy Revision announcement.  Travel restriction applies to San Jose State University and the Auxiliaries.

Please forward this message to any staff or faculty you feel should be notified.  If you have any questions, please contact Finance Support at financeconnect@sjsu.edu or 408-924-1558.

Below are FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS REGARDING Assembly Bill 1887 (or click on csu-travel-ab-1887-faq for the PDF)  provided by the Chancellor’s Office:
  1. What is Assembly Bill 1887 (AB1887)?  AB1887 is a California law that restricts state agencies from requiring its employees to travel to any state that has enacted a law that discriminates on the basis of sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression. For a complete text of the bill, please visit the California Legislation information website, http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billNavClient.xhtml?bill_id=201520160AB1887
  2. When do the AB1887 CSU Travel restrictions go into effect?  AB1887 CSU travel restrictions are effective January 1, 2017.
  3. Who does AB1887 apply to?  AB1887 applies to all CSU employees, officers, or members, as well a non-employee travelers, including students.
  4. How does AB1887 affect CSU Travel?  As a result of this new law, the CSU is restricted from requiring employees to travel to certain states. Additionally, the CSU is prohibited from approving state-funded or state-sponsored travel (including auxiliary organization funds which have limited flexibility on a case-by-case basis to be determine by the campus) to those states. The state to be traveled to is the deciding factor for the ability to travel, not the funding source for the travel, unless one of the documented exceptions is met (see FAQ #7).
  5. How do I find the states that are on the list?  The complete list of affected states will be maintained on the California State Attorney General’s website, https://oag.ca.gov/ab1887.
  6. Can I refuse to travel to the states on the California State Attorney General’s website?  Yes, the CSU cannot require an employee, officer, or member to travel to the affected state, unless the travel meets one of the exceptions.
  7. What if I booked my travel prior to January 1, how am I to handle trips to states listed on the Attorney General’s website?  If travel arrangements were made and/or paid for to an effected state prior to the law’s effective date, then the university will reimburse for all travel expenses incurred before and after the law’s effective date. The same logic will apply as states are added to the website. Campuses should have a procedure in place to check the Attorney General’s website prior to making any travel reservations.
  8. Can I invite prospective employee, speakers, or consultants from states on the Attorney Generals list?  Yes. AB1887 applies to the states that one is traveling to, not the states that one is traveling from. The CSU can reimburse for travel expenses of someone traveling from a state on the Attorney General’s website.
  9. What are the exceptions to AB1887 travel prohibitions?  Exceptions to AB1887 (https://oag.ca.gov/ab1887) travel prohibitions are as follows:

1. Enforcement of California law, including auditing and revenue collection.
2.  Litigation.
3.  To meet contractual obligations incurred before January 1, 2017.
4.  To comply with requests by the federal government to appear before committees.
5.  To participate in meetings or training required by a grant or required to maintain grant funding.
6.  To complete job-required training necessary to maintain licensure or similar standards required for holding a position, in the event that comparable training cannot be obtained in California or a different state not affected.
7. For the protection of public health, welfare, or safety, as determined by the CSU or other state agencies. Any travel completed using the above exceptions to prohibited travel per the AB, must contain documented approval of the exception.



January LCD Processing

To personnel with Labor Cost Distribution (LCD) responsibilities, this is the monthly reminder to confirm your salary information by running your LCD Setup Audit.

Any changes to the distribution of funding for payroll expenses that you would like made for January 2017 payroll must be received by Finance Support no later than Friday January 20th at 5:00 p.m.

For temporary appointment funding changes, all requests can be emailed directly to Finance Support at finance-support@sjsu.edu .

For faculty who are on release time and/or any split funding changes, employee profile requests must be approved by the Dean’s Office prior to submittal to our office. The Release Time Authorization (RTA) form for faculty on release time with the Research Foundation should be sent to Faculty Affairs – please do not send the RTA form to Finance Support.

We cannot guarantee that requests for changes received after the deadline will be captured for the January payroll cycle.

Reminder: Payroll expenditures for Fiscal Year 2016/17 will reflect regular/negative pay for the months of July 2016 through June 2017; positive pay salary expenditures (e.g. student salary and overtime) will represent the months of June 2016 through May 2017. Positive pay for Fiscal Year 2017/18 will reflect expenditures for the twelve month period of June 2017 through May 2018.

Please refer to Labor Cost Distribution for information regarding the LCD process and Temporary Appointment Funding Changes for instructions on completing the Employee Profile form. If you have any questions about LCD processing, please contact FinanceConnect at financeconnect@sjsu.edu or 4-1558.