Campus Purchase Approvers:
In response to requests to clarify the regulatory requirements for accessibility and fire life safety and; in an effort to expedite Fixtures, Furniture and Equipment (FF&E) purchasing, a new policy has been developed by Facilities Development & Operations for FF&E permits. The policy is based on the 2013 California Building Code and should be used to determine if a permit is required by Facilities Development & Operations prior to submitting a requisition to Contracts & Purchasing Services for the procurement of such FF&E items.
Fixtures, Furniture and Equipment Permits are required for the following:
- items weighing over 400 pounds
- items over 5 feet, 9 inches in height
- systems and modular furniture regardless of height
- items being installed or placed in a hallway or other area of egress
- items such as, fume hoods, portable generators, portable kilns
- items which require alteration to existing electrical, mechanical, plumbing or structural design
- items which are intended to alter the usage or occupancy of a classroom, lab or offices
The full procedure further identifies items for which permits are “not required, but strongly recommended for review” and those items that do not require FF&E permits prior to purchase. It is recommended that campus requestors utilize the criteria to determine the need to submit a Work Order with iService for FD&O review prior to sending a requisition for purchase to Contracts & Purchasing Services. This will minimize potential delays.
Once a permit is approved, it should be attached to the requisition and forwarded for purchase.
The new procedure can be viewed in its entirety at: