Presentation Title: Information Sent! Learning to Answer Reference-By-Mail Letters to Incarcerated Individuals

Presenter(s): Michael Van Aken, School of Information

Abstract: While taking INFO 210 (Reference and Information Services), I worked on a final project where I answered reference letters from incarcerated individuals. The project had me answer three reference letters from incarcerated individuals and send in an up to 20-page response letter with various information from around the internet, as well as an explanatory cover letter. The culminating experience of the project was composing a research and reflection paper while combining it with my three response letters and my supervision evaluation. While working on the project, and with the guidance of the librarians from the San Francisco Public Library’s Jail and Reentry Services (SFPLJARS), I learned how to answer such references letters, learned more about the information needs of incarcerated individuals, and examined the need and importance of such library and information services for incarcerated information seekers. Working on this project not only helped me understand the information needs of incarcerated individuals, but it also helped me understand the importance of such information services and gain a deeper appreciation for social justice work in the LIS field.

Link to Recorded Presentation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztjeNU1TDCg

3 thoughts on “Information Sent! Learning to Answer Reference-By-Mail Letters to Incarcerated Individuals

1. Michael Van Aken

In case anyone missed it, the SFPL was recently awarded $2 million to expand services to incarcerated individuals. Here is the link to the ALA news article: https://www.ala.org/news/press-releases/2022/01/san-francisco-public-library-awarded-2-million-expand-services-incarcerated

2. Charlene Brewer

Hello Michael,
    This is great news! I chose the same San Francisco Public Library’s Jail and Reentry Services experience for my final in Info 210 as well. It was an eye-opening opportunity, and I’m glad to see they have received such support in the way of funding. Nice presentation!
    ~Charlene

3. Erin Castillo

What a rewarding experience, Michael! Thanks for sharing something about a population that is not discussed enough. Your findings into the most asked about reference topics by incarcerated individuals was really interesting, too!