Welcome back to the spring semester at SJSU! There have been many new developments in teaching with technology this year, here are some tools that we have available.
eCampus, at http://www.sjsu.edu/at/ec/ (within the Academic Technology unit), has webpages and workshops, as well as one-on-one support to help you learn these technologies and use them in your courses. Please enroll in workshops at http://www.sjsu.edu/at/ec/aboutus/ecampusevents/index.html
- Canvas is our new learning management system that will continue to be supported for the future. You can post files like syllabi, create discussion groups, create and post videos, create online quizzes graded by the software, keep track of grades, etc. in Canvas.
- Desire2Learn is our old learning management system that will be shut down on June 30, 2013. eCampus will help you convert your courses to Canvas.
- WebEx, is a new webinar or web-conferencing space that allows you to have synchronous online meetings, with a large whiteboard or presentation space, audio, video, and text chat. There is a simple Meeting Center, Training Center (best for teaching classes), Event Center, and a Scheduler.
- iPads This initiative was a pilot Faculty Learning Community project coordinated through the Center for Faculty Development.
- Adobe CS6. Free Adobe software is still available. It includes a suite of web creation tools like Photoshop for editing images, Dreamweaver for creating webpages, Adobe Acrobat for creating static forms, Illustrator for drawing, Premiere for editing video, and others.
- Criterion, This software is a standalone product by ETS that allows students to upload their writing and get machine-graded responses about their spelling, grammar and other writing mechanics. Faculty can use it to pre-grade student writing and to communicate online about writing with the students.
- Elluminate/Collaborate This is our old web-conferencing software that is integrated into D2L. When D2L is gone after June 30, 2012, the integrated version will no longer be available. WebEx can be used for the same purpose.
- iTunesU This is free space to upload videos or audio files for public distribution. If you would like to put an entire course here, that is now possible.
We will soon be adding a new survey program called Qualtrics and are in the process of picking out a classroom-clicker or online audience response system.