Since open enrollment started in October for Covered California, the health insurance exchange that was created for the state as part of the Patient Protection & Affordable Care Act, many people are still confused about what it all means for them.
A Health Science & Recreation faculty member and two masters of public health students are on a mission to change provide some clarity. Anji Buckner and her students are in charge of the San Jose State University Health Insurance Education Program. They will be available from now until March 31, 2014 to provide outreach and education to students, their families and part-time employees who may benefit from the new health insurance exchange. They are already taking requests for presentations in classes or at group meetings. They’ve tailored the talk to 5, 10 or 15-minute presentations to meet the needs of busy students, faculty and staff.
The group is just one of many in the state who are working to educate college students on health insurance options, as college students are the largest uninsured population in the state.
Where to go if you have questions about Covered California or the CSU HIEP?
1. Learn more about Covered California online at www.coveredca.com
2. CSU HIEP: www.calstate.edu/coveredca
3. Stay up to date with campus events: Like us on Facebook www.facebook.com/sjsuhiep, follow us on Twitter @sjsuhiep (www.twitter.com/sjsuhiep), and add yourself to the SJSU HIEP email listserv http://goo.gl/qvKEaK
4. Email the SJSU HIEP Campus Coordinators & Certified Covered California Educators Keri Simmons and Van Nguyen at firstname.lastname@example.org.
5. Contact the Northern California HIEP faculty supervisor Anji Buckner at email@example.com.
Download a flyer below:
SJSU CSU Health Insurance Education Project STUDENT Outreach Flyer