At a town hall meeting Sept. 3 in Morris Dailey Auditorium, officials shared tips for staying safe on our urban campus. The panelists included:
- Peter Decena, Chief of Police;
- Staci Gunner, Director of Student Conduct and Ethical Development;
- Ellen Lin, Director of Counseling Services; and
- Julie Paisant, Director of Equal Opportunity and Employee Relations.
Here’s a quick recap:
- Update your contact info on Alert SJSU with a cell that accepts texts.
- Report suspicious activity. Call 408-924-2222 or text TipNow.
- Use the Evening Guide and Evening Shuttle programs.
- Be an Empowered Bystander. See Something. Say Something.
- Read guidance from Spartans for Safety.
- Review crime prevention info and related UPD classes.
- Take care of yourself with Counseling Services’ workshops and groups.
- Report sexual harassment. Human Resources and UPD will investigate.
- If you decide to drink, know your limits and stick with them.
Our 10th tip could come from you: UPD needs a hand. Chief Decena is creating a student advisory committee.
“The purpose is primarily to engage our students in the process of building and maintaining a safe campus community,” Chief Decena said. “I am seeking their input on public safety issues and will hopefully have the opportunity to answer questions or explain actions taken by the University Police Department or law enforcement in general.”
If you would like to join the group, email email@example.com.