By Michelle Terris, Public Affairs Assistant
SJSU’s Women’s Club Volleyball team had a fantastic year and they’ve got the wins to prove it. The team has won numerous awards and continues to play with dedication. Check out some of the quick facts about the team and see more photos of these Spartans in action on our Facebook page.
- Women’s Club Volleyball started four years ago.
- The team competes in the National Collegiate Volleyball Federation (NCVF). Gold Team is Division 1.
- As part of the Northern California Collegiate Volleyball League (NCCVL) the team plays Cal Poly SLO, UC Davis, Santa Clara, Sac State, Stanford, Sonoma State, Chico, and St. Mary’s.
- In the past two years the club has had their best seasons to date.
- In their 2010 nationals appearance the Gold Team finished fifth in the nation beating out 126 (D1) teams.
- In 2011 Gold Team was ranked #1 in the nation after beating rival Cal Poly San Luis Obispo (2010’s #1 nationally rank team) at a mini tournament at University of the Pacific on March 12, 2011.
- Head coach for Gold Team is Robert Stamps, assistant coach is Lisa Hernandez and club president is Chelsea Reilley, a second year grad student.
- The team’s season begins in January and runs through the beginning of April. Pre-season conditioning and games start in October.
- The Gold and Blue teams are seeking to continue their success at the NCVF National Championship in 2012. Any potential players that are interested in playing for either team should contact club
president Chelsea Reilley at firstname.lastname@example.org.