If I am denied by the Regular Session, can I transfer my application to the Special Session?

An applicant who is denied by one session due to limited space may have the opportunity to transfer his/her application to the other session if the other session has not reached its admission capacity. The MSDA Office will notify such applicants about the opportunity to transfer their applications to the other session. After the MSDA Office receives the transfer request from a denied applicant due to limited space, his/her application will be evaluated again. There is no guarantee that a transfer-applicant will be admitted to the new session. No additional cost will be charged to an applicant to transfer denied application with the approval of the MSDA Office. Each session will admit the most qualified applicants until it reaches its full capacity. There is no predetermined admission advantage of switching sessions.

What are the differences between Regular Session and Special Session?

The MS in Data Analytics program is offered through two different sessions: Regular Session and Special Session.

Regular Session is state-supported and state-subsidized. The cap on the number of Regular Session students who are accepted to the program each semester is related to the amount of money received from the state. In addition to the state tuition fees (based on the number of enrolled units), non-California resident surcharge fees (currently $396 per unit) might be applicable. Regular Session students pay campus mandatory fees and are eligible to take advantage of San José State University student services, such as Santa Clara County transit services, student body organizations, student health care, and recreational facilities. Enrollment in Regular Session affords California residents other financial support options such as CSU or CalVet fee waiver.

Special Session is completely funded from student tuition, and it does not receive any financial support from the State of California. Special Session tuition is assessed as a per unit fee (currently $750 per unit). Students can opt to pay the same student fees as Regular Session students if they wish to access student services, such as Santa Clara County transit services, student body organizations, health care, and recreational facilities.

Regular Session and Special Session students must meet the same graduation requirements (e.g., same required courses, same number of elective units, same total number of units to graduate), and they will receive the exact same diploma when they graduate.

If you need assistance in deciding between the two sessions, please contact ms-data-analytics@sjsu.edu.

What are the Python Programming Test and DATA 200?

DATA 200, Computational Programming for Data Analytics, is a remedial course in addition to the 10 required courses of the MSDA degree. As a remedial course, DATA 200 does not count towards earning your degree. The tuition cost of DATA 200 is $2,250 for Special Session students, and the cost will vary for Regular Session students based on the number of units they are taking and their residency status.

The admission status of all students admitted to the Fall 2020 semester is “Conditionally Classified”. Each student is required to pass the Python Programming Test (waiver exam) in the first week of the admitted semester or the DATA 200 class during the same semester. Students may choose to skip the Python test if they already know they want to enroll in DATA 200.

Due to COVID-19, the test will be conducted online for Fall 2020 only. In order to ensure each student has an opportunity to take the test, the test will be conducted during the first two weeks of August 2020.

The scope of this test includes Python language, data structures and algorithms. The test consists of multiple choices, short questions, and/or coding exercises.

The status of a student who has passed the Python Programming Test or the DATA 200 class will be changed from “Conditionally Classified” to “Classified” at the end of the Fall 2020 semester.

This is my first term at SJSU and I cannot attend, what will happen to my status?

If you do not attend SJSU in your first term of admission, your status will be cancelled. You will need to re-apply through the California State University website to attend SJSU at a future time.  (Please refer to http://www.sjsu.edu/registrar/faqs/Attendance_and_Policy_FAQs/index.html#q4)


I am a current student majoring in another SJSU program. How can I complete my application for MSDA?

Please send an email to admissions@sjsu.edu and include a Application for a Change of Graduate Major form. Note that you can only apply to change your major during or after your 2nd semester at SJSU as a matriculated graduate student.