The College of Science has two scholarships that are faculty nominated; the Frederick Fitting Scholars
hip and the Jiles Williams Scholarship . Please nominate any students you know that are eligible.
Nominations must be received by Friday, March 21, 2014, 5pm.
Requirements for these scholarships are as follows:
Frederick Fitting Scholarship: ($1,000.00 Spring 2014 –one time award)
The Frederick N. Fitting Award in Science is to provide for a student who shows creative potential based upon the scientific knowledge and principles that he/she has acquired as a student.
1. Applicant shows creativity or promise in using his/her knowledge for productive purposes (other than becoming a teacher/professor)
2. Applicant must be a graduating senior, carrying a minimum of 12 semester credit hours.
3. Applicant must have had a minimum of 2 semesters of calculus in support of his/her major and a minimum of 3 semesters of physics, chemistry, or biology.
Jiles Williams Scholarship: ($700.00 Spring 2014 -one time award)
Background: Retired Major Jiles B. Williams
graduated from San Jose State University in 1951 with a B.A. degree in Biological Sciences. “The purpose of the [Endowment] Fund [he established] is to provide scholarships for students in the College of Science who face challenges in achieving their university education.”
1. Must be a College of Science student
2. Currently facing challenges* in achieving their university education
*Challenges” can include socioeconomic, disabilities, single parenthood and anything else you feel should qualify.
NOTE: Both these scholarships have no application forms. Please send to Kimberly Boudreaux (firstname.lastname@example.org) the name(s) of your nominee(s) and specify which scholarship you are nominating the student(s) for. Also, please include their SJSU ID number(s) and a short memo on why you are nominating the student(s).