The College of Science has two scholarships that are faculty nominated; the Frederick Fitting Scholarship and the Jiles Williams Scholarship. Please nominate any students you know that are eligible.
Nominations must be received by Friday, March 21, 2014, 5pm.
Requirements for these scholarships are as follows:
Frederick Fitting Scholarship: ($1,000.00 Spring 2014 –one time award)
The Frederick N. Fitting Award in Science is to provide for a student who shows creative potential based upon the scientific knowledge and principles that he/she has acquired as a student.
1. Applicant shows creativity or promise in using his/her knowledge for productive purposes (other than becoming a teacher/professor)
2. Applicant must be a graduating senior, carrying a minimum of 12 semester credit hours.
3. Applicant must have had a minimum of 2 semesters of calculus in support of his/her major and a minimum of 3 semesters of physics, chemistry, or biology.
Jiles Williams Scholarship: ($700.00 Spring 2014 -one time award)
Background: Retired Major Jiles B. Williams graduated from San Jose State University in 1951 with a B.A. degree in Biological Sciences. “The purpose of the [Endowment] Fund [he established] is to provide scholarships for students in the College of Science who face challenges in achieving their university education.”
1. Must be a College of Science student
2. Currently facing challenges* in achieving their university education
*Challenges” can include socioeconomic, disabilities, single parenthood and anything else you feel should qualify.
NOTE: Both these scholarships have no application forms. Please send to Kimberly Boudreaux (email@example.com) the name(s) of your nominee(s) and specify which scholarship you are nominating the student(s) for. Also, please include their SJSU ID number(s) and a short memo on why you are nominating the student(s).