Listen to Sabrina, 7th grade student at Ocala STEAM Academy, discuss preparing for the future, challenging stereotypes, and more during her speech at the SJSU Lurie College Future of Learning Summit! To learn more about the Future of Learning Initiative, visit sjsu.edu/education/fli and the #SJSUFutureLearn hashtag thread on Twitter.
The Lurie College of Education is a community engaged, interdisciplinary, culturally sustaining, and holistic place that prepares a family of transformative educators, counselors, therapists, school and community leaders – and we like to have fun while we’re at it! Lurie College of Education students, alumni, faculty, staff, and friends are invited to join us at our Spring 2020 Welcome Event at the SJSU Bowling and Billiards Center to connect and network with classmates, peers, clubs, faculty, deans, and staff while enjoying food, games, and a chance to win prizes – RSVP at bit.ly/lurie-sp20welcome!
NOTES: Your children / dependents are welcome to attend. The spots for bowling and billiards will be first-come, first-served, but we ask that you share bowling lanes and billiard tables so as many people as possible get to play. We’ll also have other games available such as giant Jenga, giant Connect 4, jumbo Bananagrams, and more!
Follow the Lurie College Instagram accounts – @sjsulurie and @luriesuccess – for a chance to win a Bluetooth speaker! During the Spring 2020 semester, every time either of our Instagram accounts reaches another hundred followers (500, 600, etc.), we’ll select one of our followers at random to receive one of these awesome speakers. All followers are eligible for future drawings so the sooner you follow both of our accounts, the more chances you have to win. Winners can only receive at most 1 speaker during this giveaway and must be able to pick up their prize from the Lurie College of Education Dean’s Office in Sweeney Hall 103 during our normal business hours.
Stop by the Lurie College of Education Student Success Center in Sweeney Hall 106 on Mon., Jan. 27, from 8am-6pm for a warm cup of hot cocoa as you settle into the spring semester! Also stop by on Tue., Jan. 28, from 8am-6pm to make a vision board, which are a way of teaching our mind to focus on the things that are important to us!
The Lurie College of Education Bilingual Authorization Program, Bilingüismo y Justicia, invites you to attend our upcoming speaker series event on Wed., Jan. 29, from 4-5pm in Sweeney Hall 332. The event will feature Dr. Mª Elena Gómez Parra and Dr. Cristina A. Huertas Abril from the University of Córdoba, Spain, who will discuss bilingual education in Spain and the PETaL EMJMD Master Program.
ESAN (Early Childhood Student Alumni Network) is creating an interdisciplinary group of current pre-service San Jose State University students and alumni working in the Early Childhood field and engages students in the Early Childhood Institute’s mission of supporting each and every child from the start. Their spring semester meetings will take place:
- Tuesday, February 11, 3-4pm, SH 446 (SAC Room)
- Tuesday, March 10, 3-4pm, SH 446 (SAC Room)
- Tuesday, April 14, 3-4pm, SH 446 (SAC Room)
- Tuesday, May 12, 3-4pm, SH 446 (SAC Room)
To learn more, attend a meeting or contact at firstname.lastname@example.org!
SJSU Lurie College of Education undergraduate, graduate, credential, and doctorate students – complete this brief Google form for a chance to join Dean Heather Lattimer, a special guest, and a group of students for great conversation and a complimentary meal each month!
Spring 2020 semester meals will take place on the following dates and times:
- Thursday, February 13, 12:00-1:30pm
- Monday, March 16, 5:15-6:45pm
- Monday, April 13, 12:00-1:30pm
Note: Dates and times subject to change based on availability of special guests.
We’re excited for you to begin the Spring 2020 semester at SJSU and the Lurie College of Education! Check out this short welcome video on YouTube from Lurie College Dean Heather Lattimer and Student Success Center Director Janene Perez and learn more about some upcoming Lurie College events and opportunities below:
- Lurie College Bluetooth Speaker Giveaway | Follow the Lurie College Instagram accounts – @sjsulurie and @luriesuccess – for a chance to win a Bluetooth speaker! READ MORE
- SSC and SAC Updates | Utilize the resources, upcoming events, and extended hours at the Lurie College Student Success Center (SH 106) and Study and Collaboration Room (SH 446)! READ MORE
- Student Research Opportunities | Apply for the SJSU / CSU research competition and Lurie College research grants! READ MORE
- Spring Welcome Event | Lurie College students, alumni, faculty, staff, and friends are invited to our Spring Welcome Event on Mon., Feb. 3, from 3-5pm in the SJSU Student Union Bowling and Billiards Center! READ MORE
- Dine with the Dean | Enter your name for a chance to join Dean Heather Lattimer, a special guest, and a group of students for great conversation and a complimentary meal each month! READ MORE
- Connect with #LurieCollege | Join our Lurie College of Education LinkedIn group, follow our faculty Spotify playlists, and more at linktre.ee/sjsulurie!
Lurie College students – utilize our Student Success Center resources, which include professional development workshops, mentoring, networking events, and access to university, college, and career resources!
General Academic Advising
In addition to support from their academic departments, Lurie College undergraduate and graduate students can meet with the Student Success Center academic advisors for questions about registration, degree progress, forms/petitions, probation, disqualification, and university policies – make an appointment or stop by Sweeney Hall 106 today!
- Drop-In Hours | Monday-Friday | 9:00am-11:00am
- Appointments | Monday-Thursday | 1:30pm-4:00pm
Schedule An Academic Advising Appointment
- Go to the Spartan Connect website
- Select the blue Get Advising button and then Lurie College of Education from the drop-down menu
- Select LCOE Student Success Center as the location for the appointment and the service
- Choose a date and time that works for you and confirm your appointment!
Writing Tutor Hours*
- Wednesdays | 11:00am-1:00pm
- Thursdays | 1:00-4:00pm
*Additional hours are held at the SJSU Writing Center.
Open Study Hours**
- Monday-Thursday | 8:00am-6:00pm
- Friday | 8:00am-12:00pm
**The Student Success Center is unavailable for open study hours during workshops and events – view the Lurie College Student Google calendar for upcoming workshops and events and feel free to register to attend them!
The SJSU Office of Research in partnership with the SJSU Research Foundation provides undergraduate and graduate research students the opportunity to present their work and compete for selection as SJSU representatives at the annual CSU Student Research Competition. The research presented should be appropriate to the student’s discipline and career goals. Proprietary research is excluded. Each college may send forward a total of four student projects (undergraduate and/or graduate) representing outstanding research or creative activity to the university-wide competition.
To apply, please complete this PDF form and submit it by 5pm on Friday, February 7, to the SJSU Lurie College of Education Dean’s Office in Sweeney Hall 103 or at email@example.com. To learn more about the SJSU and CSU student research competition, visit the SJSU Student Research Competition webpage. To learn about other Lurie College Research Opportunities, visit sjsu.edu/education/student-research.