Welcome New Lurie College Staff Member Connie Kim!

Lurie College is excited to welcome Connie Kim, our newest staff member in the Child and Adolescent Development Department!

SJSU Lurie College of Education Child and Adolescent Development Staff Connie Kim

Hello – My name is Connie Kim and I am the new department analyst for Child and Adolescent Development. I am responsible for the day to day operations of the main office, fiscal budget management, procurement, and overseeing academic processes including: scheduling, teaching contracts, and evaluations.

When I was a baby, my family came to the United States as refugees from Vietnam. We were sponsored through a church in a small town: Fridley, MN. Maxine from the church took us in. She was a widow who opened her home to us, and we lived in her basement until my parents learned English and could work. Through my middle school years, I lived in Minneapolis, Minnesota but during high school, I moved to Orange County, California. After high school, while working full time, I attended Cal State Long Beach in the evenings and obtained a BS in Management Information Systems. My older siblings all completed higher ed as well, and one of them is an M.D. To this day, I remain surprised and thankful that although my family started with zero means, we were able to get past barriers to education and livelihood.

Since then and in a nutshell, my life path has taken me through working in high tech, owning my own business, and for the past five years, providing service through the public sector. I am an advocate of exploring new opportunities and growing from challenges. I’m very excited to be at SJSU, where my work “behind the curtain” is to the benefit of learners, and where I am surrounded by faculty and peers with the like mindset of imparting knowledge and enrichment, enabling students to shape their future, irrespective of where they came from.