Calling all graduates! Congratulations on your upcoming graduation!
The Linguistics & Language Development Graduation Ceremony will be taking place as described below. Make sure to scroll to the bottom for regalia info. Note! This is for our departmental graduation, not the SJSU-wide commencement ceremony. As a graduate, you can attend either or both of the ceremonies. For info on the SJSU-wide Commencement ceremony, visit their webpage. If you plan to attend the Departmental ceremony, please read below and bookmark this page for your records.
Date: Friday May 27th 2016
Time: 5.00 pm to 6.30 pm
Location: Engineering 189 (On the 1st floor, facing the Spartan Bookstore). Parking in the SJSU garages is FREE!!
Light refreshments will be available for half an hour before the ceremony and there will be coffee and cake afterwards. Do come and join us!
Graduating students will receive one free ticket for themselves. Tickets for friends and family will be $15.00 per person. Tickets will be sold in-person at the Department’s front desk (Clark 473). CASH ONLY – NO REFUNDS! Tickets will be on sale until May 26th. The tickets will be sold on a first-come-first-served basis, so make sure you get yours early to avoid disappointment!
How to register for graduation
- Purchase tickets at the Departmental front desk. (Available NOW)
- Pick up gown rentals from Departmental front desk (Available NOW)
- Be gowned and ready to walk at 4.30 pm sharp on May 27th!
For questions and special accommodations, please contact our Departmental Office Manager, Cookie Galvan at:
LLD regalia consists of the following required items. See below for rental information.
- Black gown (tailless) – RENT NOW!
- Black cap – RENT NOW!
- WHITE TASSEL (for Humanities Undergraduate) – PURCHASE FROM SPARTAN BOOKSTORE!
- Black gown (with tails) – RENT NOW!
- Black cap – RENT NOW!
- BLACK TASSEL (for Masters Program) – PURCHASE FROM SPARTAN BOOKSTORE!
- A hood – RENT NOW! M.A. students will be hooded by LLD Faculty as part of the graduation ceremony.
LLD Gown Rentals
Every year, the LLD Department rents gowns and caps for considerably less than what they cost new. Cost is $30.00 for both a gown and cap. We also have a limited number of Masters’ hoods available for an additional $5.00. Note! We do not provide tassels for rental! Please purchase A WHITE TASSEL (Humanities undergraduate) or a BLACK TASSEL (Masters Program) from the Spartan Bookstore.
To rent regalia, please visit Cookie Galvan in person at the front desk, Clark Hall 473.
Buy a gift for your graduate! Support the LLDSA by shopping in our online store: http://www.redbubble.com/people/lldsasec
Greetings Spartan Wugs!
Welcome back from Spring Break into the San José sunshine!
If you’re planning on graduating at the end of the semester, come and celebrate and be celebrated at the LLD graduation ceremony. For info, it will take place in the Engineering Auditorium on Friday May 27. We invite you and your guests for some pre-walk nibbles from 4.30 p.m., and the ceremony itself will be from 5.00 p.m.-6.30 p.m.ish after which, post-walk cake and refreshments with all our wonderful profs will be served!
So how do you get your hands on some tickets for the LLD event of the year?! You will be hearing from our departmental administrator, Cookie Galvan, who will send all students an email to confirm when tickets go on sale. She will also send you details about robe hire etc. All graduating students can purchase 5 tickets maximum from April 18 through May 1; from May 2, you can buy as many more as you like on a first-come-first-served basis.
We’re looking forward to seeing you and your guests on this very special occasion.
Best of luck for the next 5 weeks of the semester!
– LLDSA Director of Communications
Greetings to all from the LLDSA!
Here, in chronological order, are a few timely reminders about key upcoming events in LLDworld:
1. Are you looking for something for the weekend to make the Panthers and the Broncos quake in their collective jerseys? Just eight years shy of their own golden anniversary, it’s the 42nd annual meeting of Berkeley Linguistics Society. The program is, as ever, as broad as it is deep, and as fascinating as it is accessible. BLS or NFL? Pick the three letters that are going to define your weekend!
2. The LLDSA meetings are back in full swing! We’ll be in one of the Clark Hall Fishbowls from 11.00-12.00, every Monday morning. This semester, we have planning meetings every even week (starting next week: 8 February) and fun meetings every odd week (next one: 15 February). Drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org for further details or just turn up on the day!
3. Not long to go until the 1st LLD Alumni Event on Friday February 19th, 2.30-4.30 p.m. Join us for a late lunch in the Student Wellness Center (SWC), Conference Room 122A/B. RSVP: email@example.com
4. Are you graduating this semester? The LLD Departmental Graduation Ceremony is on Friday May 27th, ceremony 5.00-6.30 p.m., refreshments and mingling from 4.30 p.m., in the Engineering Building 189. Save the date – more details to follow!
Check back soon for details about our first LLD mixer of Spring 2016 or send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to our mailing list!
Wishing you all a very successful semester,
LLDSA Director of Communication
Dear LLD alumni –
You are most warmly invited to a late lunch on the SJSU campus on Friday 19 February. For further information, please see the attached (click on it!) and/or contact Annika Ronay, our wonderful LLDSA Alumni Relations Officer, at email@example.com
We do hope that you can be there for the first annual reunion at the beginning of this special year that marks the 25th anniversary of the LLD Department!
With best wishes,
LLDSA Director of Communications
Here are the first key bits of information about the most wugderful event of the semester! Details will be firmed up and posted here and on our FB page over the coming weeks.
We are going to need a little help from our linguistics and TESOL friends to make this happen, so if you’d like to volunteer, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
And a belated Happy New Year to all…!
— Juliet Solheim, LLDSA Director of Communications