Congrats to the KIN faculty who took part in the CAHPERD (California Association for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance) State Convention that took place in Garden Grove (Southern California) this past week (2/21-2/23). We are very proud of our undergraduate students and Dr. Daum who spent their time and money to attend.
Here are some of the highlights and news:
- We had 10 undergraduate Kinesiology-Preparation for Teaching students and two faculty attend the conference (attached is a picture of the group minus Dr. Siebert) . A very well attended conference, CAHPERD leadership mentioned they had very high pre-registration (over 1,000 pre-register) and day-of registration.
- One of our students, Joanna Peet, was one of the three scholarship recipients from CAHPERD. She earned a $1,000 scholarship because of her scholarship, leadership and service.
- Joanna Peet also presented her original research poster based on her work with Dr. Shifflett and others related to gender bias and sport reporting. She won top original research poster.
- Our students took part in the student competition Friday night and placed third. Team “Daum’s Disciples” (They chose the name of their group, thank you Daniel Murphy for coining the term…) earned third place of 11 teams. CSU San Bernardino was second and CSU East Bay earned first. There were many undergraduate students from across the state, I estimate at least 75, in attendance.
- Dr. David Daum was voted Vice President Elect of Physical Education for CAHPERD, he will serve a three year term.
- San Jose will host the 49th NAPEC (National Adapted Physical Education Conference) in Fall 2020, Dr. Siebert is involved with the planning of this. I am sure she will provide more details as we get closer.
- The CAHPERD state convention will be back in Garden Grove in February 2020. The 48th NAPEC, will also be in Garden Grove, Nov. 7-9th, 2019. We look forward to sending another strong contingent of students and faculty. There will be an opportunity, like Joanna took advantage of, for students to present original research or research critiques at CAHPERD, I will forward the information when session proposals are due for CAHPERD 2020.
- CAHPERD Bay District Workshop will be hosted at SJSU Fall 2019, date TBD (Likely Nov. 2nd, 2019), Dr. Daum will be helping organize this event as 2018’s event was very successful.
Department of Kinesiology Service Award for Undergraduate Students
The annual Department of Kinesiology Service Award honors students from each major area within the department: Kinesiology, Physical Education Teacher Education, and Athletic Training. This award recognizes undergraduate students who have established a distinctive record of service to the community. The awards are intended to recognize and promote service excellence, to further the professional competence and dedication of accomplished students
and to promote kinesiology and its related fields.
Service Award Criteria:
• Senior standing with a minimum overall GPA of 3.0
• Student graduating in the current academic year
• Demonstrates exceptional leadership and service in the field of kinesiology
Nominations are due Monday, February 25, 2019 and must include:
• Completed nomination form
• Resume (not to exceed 2 pages) including GPA and activity related to award criteria
• A 250-300 word narrative describing the nominee’s activities and information
related to award criteria (see below)
• Email digital photo of student (Preferably 400 x 600 pixel JPG)
The service award narrative should include evidence of the following:
• Commitment to service and/or engagement which positively impacts a community
• Integration of service and academic learning through reflection and/or public
• Community-engaged learning or related experiences
• Demonstration of leadership or program support or collaboration