SJSU’s location in the heart of Silicon Valley gives our institution an edge in the technology marketplace, as we routinely supply high-technology firms in the area with more engineering, computer science, and business graduates than any other college or university. It’s not surprising, then, to see SJSU embrace educational methods that exploit the latest technology to dramatically enhance the university experience.
The mission of IT Services is to support student success through the innovative use of technology in the classroom and across campus, while supporting automation of SJSU’s administrative functions. We promote “unbounded learning” to enhance student success through continuous learning innovations. We do this by providing agility through an advanced technology infrastructure. Faculty and students will benefit greatly from numerous improvements and advancements that have been made since Spring of this year.
In The Classroom
- WebEx online collaboration to connect swiftly and securely with students, teachers, colleagues
- TelePresence available for all Faculty, Staff, Students via WebEx Enabled TelePresence (bridge) and via High Def equipment in some classrooms and conference rooms
- Next Generation Spaces update – 7 fully integrated learning spaces; 7 fully integrated learning spaces coming in the next year; 6 meeting spaces
- 30 mobile TelePresence units; 10 available now; others arrive by end of Oct.
- Updated classroom phones installed
- Wi-Fi in all classrooms, campus buildings and student residences
- Nearly 67,000 unique devices connected, 14,500 wireless devices connected
- Students reporting seeing internet speeds over 100 MBPS
- 4,000 new phones deployed
- Workstation/computer refresh – Over 3,000 Lab, Faculty, and Staff Computers Replaced
What’s Coming Next
More technology enhancements are on the way as we continue with our five-year roadmap that began in 2012.
- Innovation & Collaboration Expo, Oct. 1 – 2. All faculty, staff and students are invited.
- Next Gen rooms with high definition, TelePresence/Lecture Capture in classrooms/conference rooms
- UPD silent alarm on all faculty & staff phones
- Outdoor wireless to be completed by August 2016.
We believe that technology enriches the educational process. It transcends geographical and cultural boundaries to provide greater learning and teamwork experiences. We remain committed to providing technologies, services and resources that support an innovative, engaged learning community and enhance student success at SJSU.
Download the complete IT Services Welcome Back presentation for Colleges.