Fall semester typically starts with a buzz of energy as we welcome everyone back to campus. New students excitedly (nervously?) explore campus in search of their classes. Continuing students happily bump into friends and chat about summer vacation. The 7th Street Paseo is filled with music, canopies, positive vibes, and crowds of people enjoying the sunshine and fun Weeks of Welcome events.
Fall 2020 will be nothing like we’re used to, with much of campus studying and working remotely. While there won’t be the usual hustle and bustle of busy campus life this fall, there is still a lot going on virtually. We may be social distancing, but you can still be social! There are many ways for you to connect with others and stay engaged with our SJSU community. All you have to do is put yourself out there and be open to trying something new!
Attend virtual events
- International Welcome is our bi-annual social mixer on Friday, August 21 at 4:00 PM (PST). This student-led event is organized by Global Leaders, and features fun games and activities to help you meet other SJSU students.
- Beyond Global Spartan Welcome is an opportunity to connect with our Global Spartan Community, explore cultural topics, and prepare for academic success. It’s designed to help international students navigate cultural, social, and academic transitions.
- Global Connections meets Mondays at 11:00 AM (PST). Connect with people from around the world, explore cultural topics, and learn tips for improving your overall well being.
- Thursday Tea Time at 3:00 PM (PST) is a casual weekly meetup. We chat about movies, food, and whatever comes to mind. Come and hang out with us!
- Weeks of Welcome continues through September with many events and programs for SJSU students. Featured events include a Virtual Escape Room (international & transfer student mixer).
Join a Club
Our campus has 400+ Registered Student Organizations (RSOs) and a thriving Greek Life with many Fraternities and Sororities. From club sports to academic clubs, to religious or cultural groups, there’s an RSO for just about any interest, and many of these organizations are still operating virtually. Keep an eye out for information about the upcoming Virtual Organization Fair, run by Student Involvement.
International students may be interested in checking out Global Student Network (@sjsu_gsn on Instagram), which connects US and international students or the Career Development Club (firstname.lastname@example.org or follow on LinkedIn), which has many international student members.
Connect via Social Media
- Follow SJSU groups on social media. Start with ISSS @SJSUinternational on Instagram and Facebook.
- Subscribe to the new ISSS Views & News blog for the latest updates
- Use the new International Students Chat Group on the Sammy App (download app). Click on the International Students tile.
Step out of your comfort zone
Challenge yourself to step out of your comfort zone one baby-step at a time. Start small. Go to a Global Leader Chat, Tea Time or Global Connections. These are spaces where international students can meet each other in a casual environment. As you feel more comfortable, take another step and join a club or form a study group with your classmates. It takes time, but you have so many opportunities at SJSU, so make the most of it!
Best of luck! We look forward to meeting you at an event soon!