Globe-trotting with the Choraliers

Choraliers
This issue of Expressions highlights some of the accomplishments of the School of Music and Dance as we take a look at the College’s award-winning Choraliers, starting with student Christy Rohayem’s description of her summer trip abroad with the choir. Following is a profile of the Choraliers’ conductor, Dr. Jeffrey Benson. Also included with our new faculty introductions: is an interview with Dr. Fred Cohen, the new director of School of Music and Dance. And last, but never least, is an interview with the grande dame of the Choraliers, Dr. Charlene Archibeque, who has been helping the choir make music for over four decades.

Globe-trotting with the Choraliers
By Christy Rohayem, Music Education major

Out of all the choir tours I’ve experienced, the Choraliers’ trip to Europe this summer was definitely one for the books. Having never been to England or France, I was very excited for the journey to begin. The churches we visited were breath-taking to look at, and even more beautiful to sing in, with remarkable acoustics. I probably took a thousand pictures of just the churches alone! I couldn’t get enough. Some of the highlights of my trip were singing at the University of Oxford and in the ancient chalk caves at Taittinger in Reims. Other highlights included visiting the London Eye, London Bridge, the Tower of London, Notre Dame d’Amiens, and Notre Dame de Reims; champagne tasting at Taittinger; seeing the Eiffel Tower at night; and traveling by boat along the Seine. Not to mention the food. Once you’ve had a homemade croissant in France, Starbucks will just no longer suffice. I’m ruined forever.

Born and raised in the Bay Area, I’ve developed what some call “wanderlust.” I have a strong desire to travel the world and experience different cultures, but as a working student it’s difficult to travel as I’d like. As a credential student in Music Education, however, being in Choraliers has given me the opportunity to see different countries and learn different languages. Not only did this tour open my eyes to so many new experiences, it allowed me to do so with many of my peers and best friends–plus, the new friends that I made along the way.

Our last concert on tour (and my last concert with the Choraliers) was at La Madeleine church in Paris, France. This is the church where composer Gabriel Fauré worked in the late 1800’s. Not only were we singing in his church, we were singing one of his pieces, “Cantique de Jean Racine,” in the place where it was most likely written. Out of all the amazing moments on this tour—and in my life—this performance is one I will never forget. Being part of the Choraliers and being able to join on this tour was a privilege and an honor. I am forever changed by this experience, and I’m extremely grateful and blessed by the gift of music that the Choraliers and this tour have brought me.

home-top-button