University Travel – Enterprise Rental Car Policy Update

Enterprise Car Rental has made a change to the vehicle pick up process for State rentals. In addition to a valid California Driver’s License, travelers are now required to show a second form of identification when picking up a rental vehicle from Enterprise. This second form of identification serves to verify the traveler’s association with the state.

University travelers should be prepared to present their Tower ID card or SJSU business card when renting a vehicle from Enterprise. An authorization letter on San José State letterhead identifying the traveler and approving the individual’s use of Enterprise car rental services is also acceptable. Should the traveler not be able to provide identification which proves association with San José State, Enterprise will not honor the discounted state rental rate and may require the traveler to provide their own credit card for payment.

This policy update is applicable to all reservations made with Enterprise, including those made through the university’s official travel agency, Travel Consultants, or the university GoCard.

Important Travel Policy Change – Maximum Limits for Reimbursing the Cost of Lodging

The CSU has implemented a maximum lodging rate of $175 per night, excluding taxes, for in-state and out-of-state travel, including Alaska, Hawaii, and US possessions. This rate is effective for business travel occurring on or after April 1, 2013. Rates in excess of this amount must be pre-approved by a campus vice president or designees in accordance with the campus approval process, and must include the business purpose for the necessity to stay within certain facilities.

Why are we doing this?

The Bureau of State Audits has recommended on behalf of the California State Auditor that the California State University establish maximum limits for reimbursing the cost of lodging and provide guidelines that allow for exceptions to such limits only under specific circumstances.

How will approval be handled at San José State?

In order to utilize our existing travel authorization process in Financial Transaction Services (FTS) and avoid changes to existing travel approval structures, all campus AVPs have been delegated authority to approve lodging rates in excess of the $175 per night limit for all travel within the state of California; out-of-state travel currently requires the approval of the appropriate Vice President, so no change is required.

When submitting the Request for Authorization to Travel, the traveler must identify lodging rates exceeding the established $175 per night limit in the Additional Trip Details field, and provide explanation/justification for the higher rate. When routed for approval, the designated AVP/VP will need to review the Additional Trip Details field to verify the justification is appropriate.

All university travelers with trips occurring on or after April 1, 2013 that received authorization prior to the policy change and have lodging in excess of the established rate limit, will be required to upload documentation indicating AVP approval when submitting the Reimbursement request.

Please be aware that the established lodging limits do not apply to travel funded through Auxiliary Organization funds.

The SJSU Travel Guide will updated shortly to reflect these changes.


Travel Consultant’s Processing Fee Increase

Effective May 2012, the university’s preferred travel agency, Travel Consultant, has increased their processing fee and will charge a minimum $20 for all booking handled by them.

As a reminder, departments are encouraged to use the GoCard to help pre-pay travel expenses such as conference fees and air/car/hotel reservations. The GoCard program, similar to a ProCard, was established to prepay expenses related to official University travel.

Please refer to the following for more information-

Travel Guide:

GoCard program and application:

If you have any questions pertaining to travel or GoCard, please contact Maggie Dela Mere at 4-1572 or .