The CSU adjusted its mileage reimbursement rates to reflect the new IRS rates. The mileage rate changes are as follows and apply to business travel occurring on or after January 1, 2021:
- The standard mileage rate decreased from 57.5 cents per mile to 56 cents per mile.
- Miles driven for moving purposes will be reimbursed at 16 cents per mile, decreased from 17 cents per mile.
The FTS Travel module reflects the standard mileage rate appropriate to the date(s) the mileage was incurred. If you have any questions, please contact FinanceConnect at ext. 4-1558 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
COVID-19 Travel Updates
Refer to the following links for announcement updates regarding COVID-19 related business travel.
Adapted Travel Process for Presidential Approval – Released date 8/14/20
Extended Suspension of Business Travel and New State Added to Restricted List – Released date 7/2/20
Travel Reimbursement for Business Travel Suspended by the COVID-19 Situation – Released date 4/1/20
Please forward this message to any staff or faculty you feel should be notified.
To Administrators and Analysts:
COVID-19 related travel restrictions from the President’s & Chancellor’s Office’s level now requires all essential travel be approved by the President.
The Payment Services team collaborated with the President’s Office and the Divisions to develop the process outlined below. This process includes a new Google form to facilitate Presidential approval and complements the existing Travel Authorization approval process in FTS.
This adapted process is as follows:
- Traveler or Department Admin/Analyst submits the Travel Authorization in FTS.
- The authorization will go through the normal approval process in FTS.
- Traveler notifies the Department Admin/Analyst of approved Travel Authorization (if applicable).
- The Department Admin/Analyst enters the traveler’s trip information in their Division’s Travel Form – Adapted Process for Presidential Approval:
Academic Affairs Travel Form
Admin & Finance Travel Form
Research and Innovation Travel Form
Office of Diversity Travel Form
University Advancement Travel Form
Student Affairs Travel Form
President’s Office Travel Form
IT Travel Form
- The submitted form will notify the Division Head of the Travel Authorization who then notifies the President’s Office for an approval.
- The President’s Office approves or denies the travel to the Division Head.
- The Division Head will inform the department of the decision.
If you have any questions, please contact the Jasmine Velazquez in Payment Services at email@example.com or 408-924-1674.
Business Travel Suspended Through June 2021 Due to COVID-19
The CSU Chancellor’s Office recently announced that non-essential international and domestic travel will be suspended through June 30, 2021. For more information, please view the FY2020-21 Systemwide Meetings and Conferences memo.
In response to the extension, SJSU will continue to follow the travel guidelines established due to COVID-19 and as explained in our blog last March. The noticeable change to the original guideline is the President (or their designee) now maintain final approval for essential travel. Essential travel is not authorized until President approval is obtained.
For information on the university’s plan to continue campus operation, please refer to SJSU Adapt.
Update- New State Added to the Restricted Travel List
With the effective date July 1, 2020, Idaho has been added to Assembly Bill 1887, the law restricting the funding or sponsoring of state business travel to states with discriminatory laws.
The current list of restricted states are as follows:
For the background and guidelines regarding Restricted Travel, please refer to the Travel Guide.