Associate Professor Julia E. Curry Rodríguez (Department of Chicana and Chicano Studies) has received the 2019 Wang Family Outstanding Faculty Service Award. Professor Curry Rodríguez’s accomplishments include:
- Increasing support and resources for immigrant students, including the development of San José State’s UndocuSpartan Resource Center in 2018.
- Receiving a Ford Foundation grant (2003-2006) for a project to explore services for binational students who immigrate to the U.S. and migrate back to their home regions.
- Working with the Chicano/Latino Faculty and Staff Association to fund scholarships for undocumented students, including the establishment of full-semester scholarships.
- Leading the development of a new bachelor’s degree in Mexican American Studies.
- Mentoring five doctoral students through the Chancellor’s Doctoral Incentive Program (CDIP), two of whom are now CSU faculty.
Congratulations on this well-deserved award, Professor Curry Rodríguez!