Get culture, get credit! The College of Applied Sciences and Arts’ Nutrition, Food Science and Packaging (NuFS) department are offering three different Faculty Led Programs (FLP) for summer 2016. Applications are being accepted now. This is a great opportunity for students to experience Hong Kong, Taiwan, or Puerto Rico all while earning 3-6 San José State University (SJSU) credits.
FLPs are short-term summer opportunities for students to travel abroad in order to study or participate in a service learning experience. SJSU faculty members organize this program to different parts of the world every summer. Scholarship opportunities are available throughout the year.
- NuFS 144i – Food Culture – Consuming Passions
- NuFS 135i – Health Issues in a Multicultural Society
Example of activities:
- Food exploration and food tasting adventures
- Walking tours of Hong Kong’s diverse neighborhoods; learn about its colonial history and modern-day Chinese influence
- Explore Hong Kong’s mega shopping culture
- Learn about & experience traditional Chinese medicine
- Join a host family for a home-cooked meal
Kasuen Mauldin, NuFS professor, and Van Ta, Health Science and Recreation associate professor, will co-lead the Hong Kong trip. For more information about Mauldin, Ta and the Hong Kong program visit FLP Hong Kong.
- NuFS 115i – Issues in Food Toxicology
Example of activities:
- Visit agricultural institute
- Learn tea production and tea culture
- Visit food processing factories in Taiwan
- Experiencing Taiwanese culture
Irene Chou, NuFS profressor, will lead the Taiwan trip. For more information about Chou and the Taiwan program visit FLP Taiwan.
- NuFS 144i – Food and Culture: Consuming Passions
- NuFS 139i – Hunger and Environmental Nutrition
Examples of activities:
- El Yunque National Rainforest
- Arecibo National Observatory
- Bioluminescent Bay experience
- Local open air markets
- Organic coffee plantation tour
- Artisanal cheese making
Deepa Singamsetti, NuFS lecturer, will lead the Puerto Rico trip. For more information about Singamesetti and the Puerto Rico program visit FLP Puerto Rico.
Find out what other FLP programs are offered by the College of Applied Sciences and Arts and apply today!