By: Anita Manuel, M.A., Associate Director of Career Education
We know that the start of this semester is not ideal. As we focus on making the college experience as close to normal as possible, the truth is, it’s just not normal. In our 1-1 sessions with students, career webinars, and canvas course modules, our team has focused on applying the design process to life and work. In particular, we’ve been doing a lot of reframing of current situations and challenges to help our students design new ways forward.
We also know that we can’t reach every student (35,000!) on our own and value faculty and staff partners who help us by sharing, connecting, and referring students to our resources. We know this year is different and challenging for you, too. We want to support your work, share your insights, and collaborate on best practices.
Thus, this blog…
Our hope is that this will be “a place” that you can easily find resources, updates on services, and innovations in the field of career development. In addition, we welcome your best practices, research, and success stories related to student career readiness and success (email: firstname.lastname@example.org). Be sure to subscribe (right-hand menu) so you can receive our latest posts in your inbox (only once a month, we promise.)
So, let the semester begin…And hurrah for all things virtual!
Except this, don’t do this:
New Virtual Career Readiness Resources for Fall 2020!
If you’ve visited our website (https://www.sjsu.edu/careercenter/) recently, you might have noticed that it has a new look and feel!
Here are our top 5 resources for educators:
- Request career workshops/webinars: Educators Webpage
- Who to refer your students to for career counseling/coaching: Your Career Counseling Liaison
- Access career readiness content for Canvas: Career Readiness Canvas Modules
- One page overview (pdf) of resources by career topic: Resources & Services Guide
- Career Outcomes Data: Top Employers & Industries 2017/18,
Upcoming Events for Educators:
Career Coffee Chat Series for Faculty & Staff (click here for topics, schedule, zoom links) Each session in this series is hosted by one of our career counselors and will focus on a specific career topic or demonstration for 30 minutes and then a Q&A session. Bring your cup of coffee, questions, and join us for a chat. Series starts Friday, 9/28!
Upcoming Virtual Career Fairs for Students:
Student registration through SJSU Handshake
- Part-Time Job Fair, 9/1 – registration: OPEN
- STEM UG Students Job/Internship Fair, 9/22 – registration opens 9/9.
- STEM Graduate Students Job/Internship Fair, 9/24 – by invitation only.
- Business, Financial Services & Logistics Job/Internship Fair, 9/29 – registration opens 9/16
- Health & Human Services Virtual Job/Internship Fair, 10/8 – registration opens 9/25