Team Aquaponics

Alondra Cabrera Ruiz, Computer Engineering, Graduation: May 2019, Project Manager
I am a Hispanic woman in tech from Richmond, California. On my free time I enjoy shopping, watching Netflix, and traveling. I joined EPICS because of my passion for community service projects. I have always been highly involved in my community, especially in those that are underrepresented, helping children with their STEM projects and also leading STEM activities. I am looking forward to working with interdisciplinary students and community partners to help me further develop my interpersonal and professional skills as well as continue serving the community.

Justin Sean Leinbach, Software Engineering, Graduation: December 2019, Design Lead
I was born to parents from very different backgrounds who loved to move around a lot. After my parents separated, my mother and I moved to the Tule River Reservation in Central California. This opportunity exposed me to my mother’s cultural beliefs and gave me a great respect for nature and spiritual things. When it was time for me to graduate high school, I decided to join the submarine force for the U.S. Navy. This gave me the opportunity to serve in multiple leadership positions and work on many teams. I wanted to join the EPICS course to work on a community project with an interdisciplinary team.

Dane Richard Godard, Computer Engineering, Graduation: May 2019, Technical Lead
I was born in San José, California and raised in Morgan Hill, just south of the city. I have grown up with an interest in technology thanks in part to video gaming. I enjoy spending time with my friends, family, and cats doing anything that sounds fun. I am beyond grateful for getting to know and hear from several people living around Silicon Valley, who ultimately helped me enter San José State University. I eventually joined the EPICS program to meet and converse with people outside of my major, computer engineering, so I can be more prepared for real world projects with interdisciplinary teams. My current goals include giving back to the community, revisiting my old highschool to give a lesson, and to land a healthily challenging job in Silicon Valley.

Alwin Riady Argono, Computer Engineering, Graduation: May 2019, Technical Assistant
I am an international student from Indonesia. Before attending SJSU, I attended Diablo Valley College in Pleasant Hill, California. During my free time, I like to play basketball or computer games. I had a huge interest in computers and technology since I was little kid. I used to open up my CPU when things didn’t work right, though I sometimes made it worse, which actually motivated me to learn more about computers. I joined EPICS for my senior project to graduate from SJSU. I chose EPICS because I was previously a 160SL student, and I found myself really interested in working for the community. I thought it was fun meeting people from different backgrounds and majors.

Bibek Shrestha, Computer Engineering, Graduation: Dec 2019, Chief Editor and Publisher
I studied at Berkeley City College before joining SJSU. I enjoy and follow NBA. I am usually reading basketball news on ESPN whenever I have free time. I also enjoy criminal drama series like NCIS and Criminal Minds. My favorite teachers were Derrick Smith and Fred Bourgoin, who taught me calculus and differential equations at Laney College. They both have a unique teaching style of giving tips and methodical ways to approach and solve problems. I joined EPICS to decide on my senior project. I wanted to see how I can get involved in a community project by working with community partners and a team to accomplish a common goal. I look forward to working in the industry and on my masters degree after my graduation from SJSU.

Ivan Ayala Melgoza, Mechanical Engineer, Graduation: May 2019, Assistant Lead Designer
I was born and raised in Watsonville, California, where I attended Cabrillo College and transferred to San José State University. I enjoy working with tools to either fix things or make them better. My main passion is working on cars and machines. I also like going to the beach with my dog when I have time. My favorite professor is Carlos Figueroa he teaches Physics and Introduction to Circuits at Cabrillo College. Professor Carlos is like no other teacher I ever had: he is a very caring professor and understanding. I enjoy learning from people that are passionate in what they do. The reason I joined EPICS was because I was awarded a scholarship that I am very thankful for receiving. I also enjoy giving back to the community by helping others through life experiences or what I have learned in school. My future plans are to look for a job so that I can gain more experience and help others. I will also want to go back to school for my masters degree.

Alan Tan, Computer Engineer, Graduation: May 2019, Financial Manager and Assistant Publisher
I was born and raised in Oakland, CA. During my free time I enjoy listening to music and reading manga. I enjoy traveling when it’s possible and I love to explore new places and try new foods. I try to keep up with the NBA whenever I can since school does take up most of my time.I am interested in Aquaponics because I want to help research the different methods to create a self-sustaining system that will be accessible to everyone. Additionally, I want to inform others about how to maintain a system so that everyone can make one at home. I joined EPICS because I wanted to see what type of projects are available and get some hands-on experience before I start my senior project.